Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Sends In Their Last Batch Of Graphics Driver Feature Updates For Linux 5.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Sends In Their Last Batch Of Graphics Driver Feature Updates For Linux 5.1

Phoronix: Intel Sends In Their Last Batch Of Graphics Driver Feature Updates For Linux 5.1

As anticipated with the DRM-Next feature cutoff upon us for the next kernel cycle, Intel's open-source developers today sent out their last planned set of feature changes slated for the Linux 5.1 kernel cycle...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So to enable this fastboot thing I add i915.fastboot=1 to GRUB? What happens if you do it on an unsupported chip?

Comment

Originally posted by Compartmentalisation View Post
      So to enable this fastboot thing I add i915.fastboot=1 to GRUB? What happens if you do it on an unsupported chip?
      Yes. The support extends back quite a number of generations (or all?) but on some older display/chip combinations you might have display issues (IIRC, display not lighting up or other display issues), in which case you would just need to drop the flag to return to standard functionality.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Yes. The support extends back quite a number of generations (or all?) but on some older display/chip combinations you might have display issues (IIRC, display not lighting up or other display issues), in which case you would just need to drop the flag to return to standard functionality.
        Ah thank you. I was wondering if distributions couldn't just enable it globally and unsupported chips could just fall back to default.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          The support extends back quite a number of generations (or all?) but on some older display/chip combinations you might have display issues
          AFAIK it works safely back to 6th generation. 5th or less it may work or not.

Comment

Working...
          X