Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Publishes Open-Source AV1 Video Encoder "SVT-AV1"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Intel Publishes Open-Source AV1 Video Encoder "SVT-AV1"

    Phoronix: Intel Publishes Open-Source AV1 Video Encoder "SVT-AV1"

    Yet another open-source project out of Intel is SVT-AV1, which is a new AV1 video encoder implementation for Windows and Linux Systems...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...Source-SVT-AV1

  • #2
    How does it compare to https://github.com/xiph/rav1e ?

    Comment


    • #3
      it'd be nice if they published some performance numbers. They say their encoder is suited to "live encoding", does that mean that they are already capable of live encoding on a machine that small? Is that encoding worth it, compared to a similar amount of power put in to even a H.264 encode?

      Comment


      • #4
        Not mine, but someone made a quick comparison to existing encoders
        https://twitter.com/fg118942/status/1092045469981671424

        Comment


        • #5
          What about rav1e?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by shmerl View Post
            What about rav1e?
            Does it even support multi-threading yet? Last check, it didn't and was very slow.
            Michael Larabel
            http://www.michaellarabel.com/

            Comment


            • #7
              Wow, the AV1 ecosystem is looking good. It's early days, but there are already more encoders and decoders than VP9 ever had.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Michael View Post

                Does it even support multi-threading yet? Last check, it didn't and was very slow.
                Not yet it seems: https://github.com/xiph/rav1e/issues/132

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by brent View Post
                  Wow, the AV1 ecosystem is looking good. It's early days, but there are already more encoders and decoders than VP9 ever had.
                  It's early but not that early anymore. It was released almost a year ago and we still don't have a remotely capable encoder and likely won't have in the near future.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by cl333r View Post

                    It's early but not that early anymore. It was released almost a year ago and we still don't have a remotely capable encoder and likely won't have in the near future.
                    Some people are forgetting how long it took before x264 was any good.
                    Hint: It did not happen a year after H264 was released, not even close

                    Edit:
                    A very quick comparison between Februar 2006 (about 3 years after H264 release) and today
                    http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/129371
                    Last edited by utack; 02-03-2019, 07:07 PM.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X