Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel's Linux Driver Stack Continues Getting Plumbed For FP16 Visuals / Wide Color Gamut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel's Linux Driver Stack Continues Getting Plumbed For FP16 Visuals / Wide Color Gamut

Phoronix: Intel's Linux Driver Stack Continues Getting Plumbed For FP16 Visuals / Wide Color Gamut

Among the recent projects by Intel's open-source graphics driver crew for Linux has been supporting FP16 visuals for handling wide color gamut with a focus on Android support in particular. A big set of Mesa patches for this effort have now been posted...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sounds interesting. Here's a list of Android phones that have Intel IGPs:

Comment

can we stop using the word "Plumbed" for IT / source code things like this? :-/

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
        And here is a list of Android phones that can run the mainline kernel with best hardware support:

- Nexus 5

Comment

Well there is the now extinct Intel Realsense phone.

I do have a Lenovo Yoga tab 2 with Intel IGP.

It's interesting to see that this work is for Android.......AFAIK, no phones with Intel CPU/GPU are available or announced for consumers. Is Intel making a comeback in the smartphone department? Is this for Android tablets? Is this related to Lakefield somehow?

Comment

list of Chromebooks with an android container using intel gpus:
            - almost all of them

Comment

Does this work only benefit Intel or because it's contributed to Mesa other drivers using Mesa can benefit too? Is there a chart somewhere of Mesa and nvidia support for these new display features?

Comment

Intel did make an Atom-based SoC w/ integrated graphics. I know ASUS shipped some Intel-based phones, but the few I found all used PowerVR.

Anyway, why do you immediately think "phones"? Android is used on lots of devices, besides phones and tablets. Not least of all would be Chromebooks, various TV sticks, and even some TVs. Not sure, but I assume also some in-car entertainment consoles.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
                  Well there is the now extinct Intel Realsense phone.
                  I'm not sure that ever shipped in volume. I seem to remember they stopped accepting pre-orders, before the ship date. Probably only a few prototypes were ever made, and everyone else got refunds.

Comment

Working...
                  X