Intel Developer Working On Adding HDR Display Support To Wayland / Weston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Developer Working On Adding HDR Display Support To Wayland / Weston

Phoronix: Intel Developer Working On Adding HDR Display Support To Wayland / Weston

While the Linux desktop's display stack has largely reached parity with Windows and macOS in recent years (most recently, the DRM core properties hitting Linux 5.0 around Adaptive-Sync / VRR), but one of the areas that has remained elusive has been for full HDR display support. We've seen NVIDIA working on nursing the X.Org-based display stack for HDR while now Intel appears to be working on the necessary Wayland changes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

YAY! We've been working on HDR support in Krita since mid 2018 -- and have it working on Windows, and on Windows only. It's really quite cool, and I would even say, spectacular. This might actually drive us to spend time with Wayland... Even though there's no support for drawing tablets in Qt on Wayland yet.

Comment

On wide-gamut non-HDR monitors, full-screen games still look like <censored>. Oversaturated colors. I.e. Linux still does not have mandatory full-screen color correction that works even for legacy apps from the times when all monitors were strictly sRGB. And - you call this feature parity with MacOS?

Comment

Nice... hope it will not take too long until the other compositors will pick that up then. My screen is HDR capable.

Comment

Originally posted by boudewijnrempt View Post
          YAY! We've been working on HDR support in Krita since mid 2018 -- and have it working on Windows, and on Windows only. It's really quite cool, and I would even say, spectacular. This might actually drive us to spend time with Wayland... Even though there's no support for drawing tablets in Qt on Wayland yet.
          By any chance, maybe you know why stylus buttons support is broken in Krita for Linux? BTN_FORWARD and BTN_EXTRA is ignored, and seems like eraser is ignored too.

Comment

Amazing news.

Comment

what about the other producers of video hardwares!? AMD and Nvidia?!

Comment

Yay this is awesome!
                What kind of applications can use HDR? mpv has a Wayland context and does HDR on Windows, so I wonder if this would mean that mpv will be able to use HDR on Linux too.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
                  what about the other producers of video hardwares!? AMD and Nvidia?!
                  It is about a wayland protocol specification. It's entirely independent of the GPU vendor and solely depends on weather the compositor implements it or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post

It is about a wayland protocol specification. It's entirely independent of the GPU vendor and solely depends on weather the compositor implements it or not.
                    so, is not intel a vendor?

Comment

Working...
                    X