Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Offers Update On 10nm Icelake & Announces Lakefield, Snow Ridge During CES 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Asus Zenphones are fine. The main issue of cheap Intel tablets was running Windows on mobile-grade hardware with total shit eMMC or even shittier flash storage.
    And Intel Edison was (is) brilliant (running Linux) with dual core @500MHz.

You forgot the part where Jeezus returns and everyone lives happily thereafter.
    And where pigs fly.

Comment

When the newest i5 or i7 reaches about 65% faster than my nonk 7700 guess I will upgrade. I am still a bit confused as to why the 9700k no longer has hyperthreading but they offer it on the 9900k.

Can kind of see that 6 to 8 cores is really the way to go.

My old FX 8320 was 66% slower when I upgraded to the 7700 system. So guess I should be good for a little while longer.
      Thought of the next upgrade within 3 years might be a 27 inch 4k display and whatever gpu comes out and might be around $350 or cheaper. I mainly game.
      Last edited by creative; 10 January 2019, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Asus Zenphones are fine. The main issue of cheap Intel tablets was running Windows on mobile-grade hardware with total shit eMMC or even shittier flash storage.
        Intel smartphone chipsets were subject of lawsuits about overheating.

Also not only cheap tablets had problems. Running Prime95+Furmark on Microsoft Surface 3 (non-pro) would trigger thermal emergency shutdown.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
          Intel smartphone chipsets were subject of lawsuits about overheating.
          The lawsuit was about so-called SoFIA SoCs which were Atom x3 C3xxx, only ONE of many Atom product line (and a particularly crappy one if I might add, using 28nm process while other contemporary Intel Atom lines used 22nm process).

None of those is found in Asus ZenFone, and afaik they aren't particularly common in Intel tablets as they were SoCs integrating a 3G or LTE modem, while the overwhelming majority of cheap Intel tablets are wifi-only.

Also not only cheap tablets had problems. Running Prime95+Furmark on Microsoft Surface 3 (non-pro) would trigger thermal emergency shutdown.
          Are you really telling me that using tools designed to stress CPU and GPU at the same time, cause tablets to go in thermal shutdown? (btw, Furmark is known to have caused some dedicated GPUs to blow up in the past)

I'm shocked, shocked, I tell you.

Btw, did you know that Android devices do get hot and trigger thermal shutdown too (or other countermeasures) for much less than that? Mobile devices in general are not designed for long time full load, but for quick spikes of activity or light loads.
          I've had my S7 for less than a year now and my phone will overheat during normal use (i.e. no video, music, games, or heavy apps). It will fully charge to 100% and after 10 minutes of use it will be at 60% and if it reaches below 40% battery, the phone will shut off and the battery will be effective...

https://thedroidguy.com/2016/07/fix-...issues-1061551
          https://www.asurion.com/connect/tech...m-overheating/
          https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/...eo/td-p/385060

Comment

The lawsuit was about so-called SoFIA SoCs which were Atom x3 C3xxx, only ONE of many Atom product line (and a particularly crappy one if I might add, using 28nm process while other contemporary Intel Atom lines used 22nm process).

None of those is found in Asus ZenFone, and afaik they aren't particularly common in Intel tablets as they were SoCs integrating a 3G or LTE modem, while the overwhelming majority of cheap Intel tablets are wifi-only..
            The problems were particularly bad with SoFIA but also affect Bay Trail and others.

I'm shocked, shocked, I tell you.
            With ultra-cheap devices it is somewhat expected. But with a launch price of $499 you might think that it is at least a midrange device. Throttling is ok mind you, but thermal emergency shutdown is not.

Btw, did you know that Android devices do get hot and trigger thermal shutdown too (or other countermeasures) for much less than that? Mobile devices in general are not designed for long time full load, but for quick spikes of activity or light loads.
            And particularly bad this is with Intel Android devices.

I've had my S7 for less than a year now and my phone will overheat during normal use (i.e. no video, music, games, or heavy apps). It will fully charge to 100% and after 10 minutes of use it will be at 60% and if it reaches below 40% battery, the phone will shut off and the battery will be effective...

https://thedroidguy.com/2016/07/fix-...issues-1061551
            https://www.asurion.com/connect/tech...m-overheating/
            https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/...eo/td-p/385060
            Those are isolated complaints.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
              With ultra-cheap devices it is somewhat expected. But with a launch price of $499 you might think that it is at least a midrange device. Throttling is ok mind you, but thermal emergency shutdown is not.
              On fanless mobile devices, throttling only buys some more time before you have to trigger a thermal shutdown. This is the norm on Android too, most consumer fanless devices are not designed to run indefinitely with CPU at 100%, it's not a design goal.

That said, I still maintain that actually running CPU Passmark + Furmark is well beyond what is considered a normal load for a tablet, no matter the price. You don't use tablets in a computing node.

And particularly bad this is with Intel Android devices.
              [citation needed]

Those are isolated complaints.
              I see you are accepting my thesis when it is for Intel Android devices while rejecting it when it's about ARM Android devices.

These are examples of random apps misbehaving and locking the CPU to 100% causing overheat and thermal shutdown in random Android devices.

It's an example about the "normal" behaviour of mobile devices when actually stressed.

There is no need to use dedicated synthetic stress-test applications like CPU Passmark + Furmark to overheat and send a smartphone in thermal shutdown, a normal misbehaving app will be enough.

Comment

That said, I still maintain that actually running CPU Passmark + Furmark is well beyond what is considered a normal load for a tablet, no matter the price. You don't use tablets in a computing node.
                And I would consider fully acceptable if it only throttles for such an extraordinary load. However an emergency shutoff means that the thermal design is insufficient. The thermal design however is in done to match Intel specifications, and this in turn means that Intel claims about the Atom CPU power consumption did not match with reality (ie. the Atoms are overheating).

[citation needed]

I see you are accepting my thesis when it is for Intel Android devices while rejecting it when it's about ARM Android devices.
                The problems with Intel Android devices are well documented. At some point, the problem got so bad that OEMs forced Intel to react (do a Google search on "Throttling Brightness due to Thermal Event"). Intel's reaction however was publishing an update that disabled that particular message, go figure.

These are examples of random apps misbehaving and locking the CPU to 100% causing overheat and thermal shutdown in random Android devices.

It's an example about the "normal" behaviour of mobile devices when actually stressed.
                No, it is never normal. For phones, maybe in some exceptional circumstances.
                But for tablets there is no excuse. Apple demonstrated that you can produce $500 tablets that throttle only moderately and never shut off due to overheating.

Comment

Working...
                X