Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Offers Update On 10nm Icelake & Announces Lakefield, Snow Ridge During CES 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Offers Update On 10nm Icelake & Announces Lakefield, Snow Ridge During CES 2019

Phoronix: Intel Offers Update On 10nm Icelake & Announces Lakefield, Snow Ridge During CES 2019

Intel's CES 2019 press conference is now wrapping up with some interesting announcements and other new information to relay, some of which was also covered at last month's Intel Architecture Day event in California but under NDA until now...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Meh, I'm still on Ivy Bridge. There really hasn't been any compelling reason to upgrade. Pricing on DDR4 certainly hasn't helped.

Comment

Now Intel is copying AMD's code name pattern? Quite funny

Comment

Did I read correctly, that they are putting WiFi on a CPU?

Comment

Originally posted by Teggs View Post
          That is meant for the Icelake Soc.

Comment

Yes, they really are putting WIFI into the CPU package. And it's kind of natural progression since Intel chipsets such as CM246 have built-in WIFI.

It is worth remembering that Intel spent a lot of money trying to get into the mobile phone and tablet markets. They were giving away their horrible Atom CPUs to Chinese factories who made a lot of totally horrible tablets with them. I have one of those Intel Atom based tablets. It's the worst and slowest and most sluggish overheating garbage tablet I've seen ever. First thing that struck me when I got it is that a two year older Mediatek tablet was a supreme and totally way better experience. I believe there were something called Zenphone with Intel mobile failures in them too. Intel couldn't into mobile. I guess they are going to try again.

I am also guessing ARM and Qualcomm specifically are a huge concern, Qualcomm wants into the low/mid-ends of the laptop market.

I'm fairly sure Intel will fail this time, just like they did last time. Then AMD will overtake them on both the server and desktop market, Qualcomm will keep the mobile market and Intel will be bankrupt and finished.

Comment

Originally posted by xiando View Post
              I believe there were something called Zenphone with Intel mobile failures in them too.
              Asus Zenphones are fine. The main issue of cheap Intel tablets was running Windows on mobile-grade hardware with total shit eMMC or even shittier flash storage.

I'm fairly sure Intel will fail this time, just like they did last time. Then AMD will overtake them on both the server and desktop market, Qualcomm will keep the mobile market and Intel will be bankrupt and finished.
              You forgot the part where Jeezus returns and everyone lives happily thereafter.

Comment

It's a SoC, not a CPU since a long while ago. Mostly meant for the Ultrabooks and convertibles.

Most laptop "CPU" actually integrate the chipset too so they have Sata, USB and all that in the same silicon.

Not done for desktop parts obviously.

Comment

More in-depth coverage: https://www.anandtech.com/show/13774...e-cascade-lake

Comment

Gemini Lake already manages WiFi directly, to a degree (and only with the CNVIo cards).
                    Update: I just read the ANandTech article, and it would appear that Ice Lake utilizes the same protocol, so this may be backwards-compatible with Gemini-Lake (once appropriate modules come out, the Intel 9461, 9462, and 9560 only support up to 1.73Gbt/s on WiFi-AC (I'm still used to the old system, since it is less confusing to me) 2x2 MultiMIMO (up to 433MBt/s 1x1 on the 9461 and 94620).

I still prefer the standard way, since I'd rather have the privilege of being able to have a different hardware-based MAC when replacing cards (I had put a 9260 in every daily-driver PC in the house, except for our old mPCIe laptops).
                    Last edited by moriel5; 08 January 2019, 07:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X