Clear Linux Ending Out 2018 With Even More Performance Optimizations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
    Phoronix has always written on and emphasized performance.
    Sometimes that makes me wonder, with all the news about bloated "modern" programming languages rather than performance-oriented ones, because they are "new and shiny".

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      Granted, I personally never have and [probably] never will use Clear, because I don't like how it handles packages
      Unfortunately, I agree. Also, being rolling release is a big turn off.

If it had a LTS of at least 5 years and full support for Wine (and mixing i386/amd64 packages) I'd use it in a heartbeat. (basically like Debian or Ubuntu but without the bloat)

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
        At this point this site should be renamed from "Phoronix" to "We Constantly Write About Clear Linux."
        "Clearonix".

Comment

Isn't the primary goal of Flatpak to ensure compatibility regardless of your system configuration? Assuming you can install stuff like deb or rpm packages in Clear (I'm not sure if you can or can't), I could see how you might encounter some functionality issues due to the changes Clear makes, but Flatpak should be immune.
          If flatpak fails depsite assumption that 'it should be immune' Clear guys won't support you as 'software packages' are not their problem anymore. Also not every distro can/wants to use flatpak as packaging solution, nor it was designed to be universal answer.

Actually no, you're not. Have you not seen the Phoronix articles where AMD is tested? Not only does it work, but it also benefits from the enhancements.
          This is not relevant as Clear guys are not officially supporting it. Today AMD may be fine but if tomorrow you have no support, you can go back to 'normal' distro.

Did you not already answer your question? The point is to maximize performance without tinkering. Gentoo is great and all but I'm not wasting my time configuring my OS to use every last transistor in my CPU.
          Not really. I tried to use clear on my desktop machine as the performance looked nice. But if your application is not in the flatpak/appimage train ... well you could as well install Gentoo. Gentoo has at least well written official documentation.

My idea is too much hype around optimizations and pointing finger on distributions which are not adapting them which is a bit ridiculous.
          Standard distributions are doing a lot of work around the core stuff. It isn't that easy to do just the optimization and saying 'everything else is not my problem and officially not supported'.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
            At this point this site should be renamed from "Phoronix" to "We Constantly Write About Clear Linux."
            I remember when everything was about Ubuntu. It's better now.

Comment

Working...
            X