Enabling Intel Fastboot Support By Default Brought Up, Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Djhg2000 View Post
    Am I the only one who don't care about the screen chainging modes during boot?
    It's more that it's stupid that the mode is set multiple times during a boot process, when it shouldn't.

Wasted time and wasted power.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

It's more that it's stupid that the mode is set multiple times during a boot process, when it shouldn't.

Wasted time and wasted power.
      Wasted time? My Debian machines keep booting while my monitor does the flickering. I know because my tiny Chinese secondary monitor is dumb as a rock and shows everything, even the corrupted half-synced frames. I can see the kernel messages whizzing by while my main monitor blanks out for a full second.

Wasted power? I don't know. Maybe. But the rest of the computer will probably dwarf any reasonably sized monitor during the boot process.

In either case at least one mode switch is unavoidable in my case. My monitor EDID defaults to 60 Hz, which means somewhere between the UEFI logo and the desktop it needs to perform the switch to 144 Hz. There is literally no way to get to the mode I want without a mode switch. If you cut out that critical mode switch you can be sure I'll file a bug report.

Comment

Originally posted by dwagner View Post
        I'm still baffled so much effort is being invested in beautifying boot screen output. Which is output rarely seen on stable systems, and seriously, why should I bother if some boot status output looks nicely? It's not like its more than a few seconds to be seen, anyway.
        Maybe a vendor wants to show a splash screen without flicker?

Comment

Originally posted by Djhg2000 View Post
          Am I the only one who don't care about the screen chainging modes during boot?
          I didn't care (still don't, really), but I do care about boot speed and shutting down all the messages and fastbooting made a very noticeable difference in that. So I guess it's worth it? I didn't even mess with plymouth - no time for that to be of any value. It's just BIOS, then black for a fraction of a second, then SDDM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sloth View Post

I didn't care (still don't, really), but I do care about boot speed and shutting down all the messages and fastbooting made a very noticeable difference in that. So I guess it's worth it? I didn't even mess with plymouth - no time for that to be of any value. It's just BIOS, then black for a fraction of a second, then SDDM.
            Sure, but disabling messages has worked for speeding up the boot process for ages. It even worked on the HDD based laptop I used in 2006, although obviously the net gain was smaller.

Comment

Working...
            X