X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uid313
    replied
    Originally posted by juno View Post

They have. AMD basically introduced it and Intel said from the start that they're going to support it. They just haven't released a newly designed GPU since then.

Nvidia is doing what they always do. I don't think it would have made a difference if Intel supported VESA-AS two years ago. They would probably just have tried harder to advocate the "benefits" of G-Sync.
    Talk is cheap. I still blame Intel for not being agile enough to rapidly deliver VESA Adaptive-Sync already. The market have suffered because of Intel dragging their feet. It's been way too many years for Intel to bring VESA Adaptive-Sync to the market since it was announced.

None of my monitors support VESA Adaptive-Sync.

Leave a comment:

• juno
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Yeah, but the market is fragmented.
    I wish Intel and AMD had both quickly adopted VESA Adaptive-Sync so it could have been a widely adopted standard.
    They have. AMD basically introduced it and Intel said from the start that they're going to support it. They just haven't released a newly designed GPU since then.

Maybe this would have forced Nvidia to adopt VESA Adaptive-Sync.
    Then everyone would benefit when you could mix-and-match any GPU with any monitor, and easily do upgrade without being locked in to one manufacturer.
    Nvidia is doing what they always do. I don't think it would have made a difference if Intel supported VESA-AS two years ago. They would probably just have tried harder to advocate the "benefits" of G-Sync.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
    Hold on, they weren't using tiling until now? Doesn't tiling support significantly increase performance?

Also, does this mean they can work with existing Freeysnc monitors?
    Tiling tends to reduce memory bandwidth usage, and power usage, which is why it's popular on the mobile side. Historically, it hasn't necessarily been fantastic in terms of performance, but that doesn't seem to be a significant issue in recent designs. Still, most of the performance improvement will probably be because Intel GPU's have limited memory compared to a dedicated GPU which has tons of high speed stuff.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hold on, they weren't using tiling until now? Doesn't tiling support significantly increase performance?

Also, does this mean they can work with existing Freeysnc monitors?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    wizard69 - Need to refine codec spec a bit further, create some profiles like the other video codecs, and then the actual hardware implementation work.

Leave a comment:

• wizard69
    replied
    Does the end of 2019 seem like a long ways off? Further how can they not have AV1 by then?

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Originally posted by juno View Post
    They're not dominant. There is a fair amount of good FreeSync monitors.
    Yeah, but the market is fragmented.
    I wish Intel and AMD had both quickly adopted VESA Adaptive-Sync so it could have been a widely adopted standard.
    Maybe this would have forced Nvidia to adopt VESA Adaptive-Sync.
    Then everyone would benefit when you could mix-and-match any GPU with any monitor, and easily do upgrade without being locked in to one manufacturer.

Leave a comment:

• juno
    replied
    Finally VESA Adaptive-Sync!
    \o/

I wish Intel had delivered this years ago before Nvidia got so dominant with G-Sync.
    They're not dominant. There is a fair amount of good FreeSync monitors.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    - Efficency improvements and

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Finally VESA Adaptive-Sync!
    I wish Intel had delivered this years ago before Nvidia got so dominant with G-Sync.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X