To No Surprise, Intel's Discrete GPU Efforts Will Support Linux Gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lanz View Post
    Intel has been in Linux's corner the longest of the three vendors. That should earn them some loyalty from us on the GPU front.
    Hardly. You forgetting all the BS they put customers through with the artificially crippled SKUs on their CPUs? In some cases those feature matrices have made no sense at all, such as the Core i3 being the CPU of choice for many laptops had no hardware AES instructions for encrypted drives. How about their sloppy hardware security history? We've also been down this road before with Intel and discrete graphics units. They tried this back in the late 90s as well with the discrete i740 addon card and their efforts were way short in performance compared to just about any other product on the market at the time. The i740 was withdrawn from the market and replaced by i75x which became the predecessors to the awful Intel IGPs over the years.

They'll get the same consideration as anyone else with a healthy dose of skepticism. Is their product worth my hard earned money compared to the competition? How open the drivers are only one part of the equation. The drivers can be 100% BSD licensed, but if the performance is out of date compared to AMD let alone Nvidia on the same games or they're missing fundamental hardware functionality (some Intel IGPs have had only partial hardware support for shaders and the like causing game incompatibility), there's no way I'd buy. I'd definitely skip the first, maybe even second, generation hardware anyway.

Intel has also been guilty of multiple personality disorder when it comes to open source support. It depends on the division on how eagerly they support FLOSS. From not-at-all with VPro/IME, to mediocre in their wireless chipsets because of firmware licensing, to well supported with their high end CPUs so long as you ignore the problem with the IME. I wouldn't hold my breath that their discrete cards would be any more open than AMD and potentially less so.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
      Amen. Intel hardware and software quality is poor. When you last time used an intel motherboard. NIR is based on summer jobbers work and latest mesa patches are most NIR patches. That's about software quality. Intel developers have too much free time, they even make patches to remove f word from the Nouveau driver code comments. F for nvidia and intel with its locked core CPUs.
      Do you go out of your way to troll or does it come naturally?

Comment

On the Windows side of things, I don't like that Intel drops driver support for everything older than 3-4 years, e.g. my Sandy Bridge notebook was put into legacy support mode in 2015. AMD and Nvidia support their products way longer than this and Intel needs to catch up to their standards especially for more powerful dGPUs. I don't want to throw away a totally fine card just because of poor driver support or dropped features.

Comment

I hope that Intel's dGPU is awesome, with great drivers and fantastic performance, not because I plan on buying one but because we desperately need a 3rd player in both the GPU and CPU front. The way I see it, if Intel can really bring a competitive dGPU to the market, it will force Nvidia to look to bring a competitive CPU to the desktop and since they a) do not have an x86 license that allows them to build CPUs and b) they have already done work on ARM based CPUs, we may finally see a competitive, ARM based processor.

Picture it, an Nvidia developed ARM based CPU, Nvidia GPU and maybe even an Nvidia branded, Linux based, OS, built with gaming and video in mind, for the desktop and the ability to leave x86 and both AMD and Intel behind for good.

Comment

I write only facts, you and many people internet are low educated personal insulting trollers. When you last time used an intel motherboard?
            Seriously, are you off your meds again? And before you comment on others being 'lowly educated', why don't you learn to competently string together a few words to form a proper fucking English sentence.

You (and a few others here) are why we need working blocklist functionality. Your posts are so low-content that people are actually stupider after reading them.

Michael, can we PLEASE get blocklists working? A serious request from a lifetime member.

Comment

NIR is based on summer jobbers work
              And ? What is the problem ?

Comment

Originally posted by whitecat View Post

And ? What is the problem ?
                he is butthurt that summer jobbers send patches that are integrated while his hacks are rejected.

Comment

Working...
                X