To No Surprise, Intel's Discrete GPU Efforts Will Support Linux Gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Great to hear! If the Linux support for that GPU is as stellar as it is now, I'm planning to get one as soon as I can.

Leave a comment:

• hajj_3
    replied
    Interestingly intel released new windows drivers called 'Windows modern drivers' a few days ago: https://www.neowin.net/news/intel-in...for-windows-10

They require skylake or newer, just like intel's new gallium3d driver. Maybe they are creating a new driver for both platforms to share much of the same code?

Leave a comment:

• Xaero_Vincent
    replied
    I hope they support open-source GVT-g on these discrete cards like they have with Intel HD and Iris iGPUs.

This would make shared GPU passthrough on many more Linux computers and make playing DirectX 12 Windows Store / UWP games (Like Forza Horizon 4) possible from within a Windows Virtual Machine, without needing as stringent IOMMU / VFIO requirements.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by shmerl View Post
    Will they use AMD architecture, or their own in these discrete GPUs?
    Their own architecture.

Leave a comment:

• shmerl
    replied
    Will they use AMD architecture, or their own in these discrete GPUs?

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    I'm not at all surprised about their intent on driver support. What surprises me is they specifically pointed out "gaming", seeing as there hasn't been much word on whether Intel was planning on explicitly making a gaming GPU (they did make it very clear that they intended to compete in enterprise).

Leave a comment:

• To No Surprise, Intel's Discrete GPU Efforts Will Support Linux Gaming

Phoronix: To No Surprise, Intel's Discrete GPU Efforts Will Support Linux Gaming

It should come as virtually no surprise to any regular Phoronix reader given the significant investment Intel makes to Linux via their Open-Source Technology Center with working on Mesa for their Vulkan/OpenGL drivers and related components, but their discrete GPU undertaking will support Linux gaming alongside Windows...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X