No announcement yet.

Testing latest -intel in Ubuntu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At the moment, Jaunty is very well updated with Xorg packages, so please test it out without xorg-edgers packages, and report any trouble in the launchpad bug tracker.

If the xorg-edgers repo would be "stealing" testers from the official packages, and keep people from reporting bugs, then I have to think twice...

Comment

Isn't it more productive to report the bugs directly upstream?

Comment

Originally posted by mrvanes View Post
        Isn't it more productive to report the bugs directly upstream?
        http://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=19716
        Yes, it's sure better. At least when it seems like the bug is something in the code and not something with the distribution packaging. And you're testing something recent (in upstream terms). But if it is something grave, it should also be reported in the distribution, so that the packagers will know about it and add it to their release planning.

Thanks for reporting the bug upstream!

Comment

Originally posted by tormod View Post
          At the moment, Jaunty is very well updated with Xorg packages, so please test it out without xorg-edgers packages, and report any trouble in the launchpad bug tracker.

If the xorg-edgers repo would be "stealing" testers from the official packages, and keep people from reporting bugs, then I have to think twice...
          I don't think that xorg-edgers will ever steal testers from the official packages. I appreciate the work you do. The stuff I throw together doesn't have the polish that your packages do. However, those of us who like tinkering with the latest unstable code will likely just rebuild the Debian X Strike Force packages or pull the source directly out of the git repo if xorg-edgers goes away. The fact that I have these choices is why I love open source stuff so much.

If I run from from the official packages or xorg-edgers stuff, I experience the same UXA lock ups either way. So for the moment, I'm using the official packages with EXA.

Comment

Yes, I guess I am exaggerating. I just want to strongly encourage you elite testers that I reach out to here, to test Jaunty as-is and report on it so we make sure Jaunty is released with as few bugs as possible. Then test xorg-edgers or self-made git to check if things have improved, this is also useful information for the official packagers so they can pull in available fixes from upstream.

The primary idea behind xorg-edgers is not to improve Ubuntu though, it's to help upstream to get more testers of the fresh meat. There are plenty of people who don't know (yet) how to compile or use git but are willing to spend a lot of times installing and testing ready-made packages, and hopefully to report bugs as well.

PS. I uploaded a new 2.6.99 snapshot now (made with "auto-xorg-git -g -H hooks intel"). Happy testing!

Comment

I updated today and noticed xserver-xorg-video-intel being updated and libdrm-intel1 being deleted because it was not depended on anymore (and marked Auto). Well... it turns out that xserver-xorg-video-intel still needs it, because X wouldn't start before I had restored the package.

Comment

I updated today and noticed xserver-xorg-video-intel being updated and libdrm-intel1 being deleted because it was not depended on anymore (and marked Auto). Well... it turns out that xserver-xorg-video-intel still needs it, because X wouldn't start before I had restored the package.
                Thanks, I will add the dependency the next time. This is https://launchpad.net/bugs/303177

Comment

Vertical scrolling stopped working for my ALPS Glidepoint and I'm not quite sure where to file the bug now? Using Jaunty and xorg-edgers packages... maybe a hal problem, maybe jaunty synaptics driver or is synaptics driver in xorg-edgers? And yes, I have the modern touchpad policy matching in /etc/hal/fdi/policy/ and I see them added in Xorg.0.log:

(**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/event5"
                  (II) AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint: x-axis range 0 - 1023
                  (II) AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint: y-axis range 0 - 767
                  (II) AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint: pressure range 0 - 127
                  (II) AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint: finger width range 0 - 0
                  (II) AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint: buttons: left right middle
                  (**) Option "SHMConfig" "true"
                  (**) Option "VertEdgeScroll" "true"
                  (**) Option "HorizEdgeScroll" "false"
                  (--) AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint touchpad found
                  (**) Option "AlwaysCore" "true"

Nevertheless, Vertical scrolling doesn't work...

Comment

Vertical scrolling stopped working for my ALPS Glidepoint and I'm not quite sure where to file the bug now? Using Jaunty and xorg-edgers packages... maybe a hal problem, maybe jaunty synaptics driver or is synaptics driver in xorg-edgers?
                    You should be more aware of which packages you install from xorg-edgers. If you blindly add the repo, and do updates, you should probably only have the intel driver from xorg-edgers for the time being, since the rest is newer in official Jaunty. Please look at the xorg-edgers PPA page, there are only a few Jaunty packages and certainly no -synaptics package.

A rough check to see if you are using xorg-edgers packages:
                    Code:
                    aptitude search '~Vtormod'
                    but note that there is not always "tormod" in the package version string.

PS. The touchpad issues are known, check the latest -synaptics changelog entries for bug references.

Comment

My apologies for being ignorant about the contents in xorg-edgers. Found the synaptics bug and fix.

On topic: I saw on the archive page that KMS was disabled in 20090127 because it wouldn't build. Is this structural or only this version? In other words: Do I need to build myself if I want to test kms against 2.6.29-rc3 or could it be enabled in next attempt if it builds?

Comment

Working...
                      X