Testing latest -intel in Ubuntu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

intel 2.6.0

I uploaded 2.6.0 for Intrepid to xorg-edgers. Note that it will need libdrm etc from the same repo. I also uploaded it for Jaunty in the intel-gfx-testing repo (no dependencies).

EDIT: Oops, I forgot that Jaunty does not have libdrm 2.4.3 yet, so scratch that about intel-gfx-testing. Until then, there is always 2.6.99 for Jaunty in xorg-edgers...
    Last edited by tormod; 15 January 2009, 07:09 PM.

Comment

That's some quick work, tormod. So far, so good with the new intel 2.6 driver from xorg-edgers.

Comment

Originally posted by tormod View Post
        I uploaded 2.6.0 for Intrepid to xorg-edgers. Note that it will need libdrm etc from the same repo. I also uploaded it for Jaunty in the intel-gfx-testing repo (no dependencies).

EDIT: Oops, I forgot that Jaunty does not have libdrm 2.4.3 yet, so scratch that about intel-gfx-testing. Until then, there is always 2.6.99 for Jaunty in xorg-edgers...
        Hi tormod,
        any idea when we in jaunty are going to get libdrm 2.4.3? Right now we are on 2.4.1-0ubuntu9
        Last edited by shirish; 16 January 2009, 02:27 AM.

Comment

I have tried intel 2.6.0 driver ( using xorg-edgers rep ) on my laptop ( Dell 6400 945GM Ubuntu 9.04) , it installed and runs without any problem , I am also able to to usa UXA .

But when I am trying to usa this driver on my PC ( Intel G45 / Ubuntu 8.04 ) its just working with old driver ! when I am using UXA it's freezing at the login window !

here is my xorg.conf :

Code:
          Section "Device"
                  Identifier "intel"
                  Driver  "intel"
                  Option  "AccelMethod"   "UXA"
                  Option  "Tiling"        "No"
          EndSection

Section "Monitor"
          	Identifier	"Configured Monitor"
          EndSection

Section "Screen"
          	Identifier	"Default Screen"
          	Monitor		"Configured Monitor"
          	Device		"Configured Video Device"
          EndSection
          gdm :0.log
          Code:
          X.Org X Server 1.5.3
          Release Date: 5 November 2008
          X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
          Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.24-22-xen i686 Ubuntu
          Current Operating System: Linux artin-pc 2.6.28-6600 #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Dec 26 00:02:07 IRST 2008 i686
          Build Date: 20 December 2008  01:40:29PM
          xorg-server 2:1.5.3+git20081216+server-1.5-branch.4970d757-0ubuntu0tormod1 ([email protected]) 
          	Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
          	to make sure that you have the latest version.
          Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
          	(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
          	(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
          (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sat Jan 17 13:23:44 2009
          (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
          error setting MTRR (base = 0xc0000000, size = 0x10000000, type = 1) Invalid argument (22)

Xorg.0.log
          http://paste.ubuntu.com/105836/

Comment

update :
            I tried a clean install of ubuntu 9.04 32bit ( alpha 3 ) on the same PC using latest drivers ( xorg-edgers rep ) .

It's working without any problem and I am able to use UXA !

My glxgears result in hardy useing xorg 1.5.2 and intel 2.5.1 was about 420fps and in Jaunty using latest driver/xorg and UXA enabled is about 990fs !

I think there is big improvement in this driver for G45 but still its weaker than old graphics like G3x or G9xx

Comment

Tormod, the instructions on https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive fail for Intel on Intrepid and earlier. The i915 module is disabled in drm-modules-source: changelog entry:
              - 28771e0... intel: Remove linux build of i915 DRM, as it's unmaintained and a user trap.

So when I followed the instructions to use mod-ass to build drm-modules-2.6.27-11-generic_2.4.3+git20090110.badc6346-0ubuntu0tormod2~intrepid+2.6.27-11.24_amd64.deb on my Intrepid system, i915 wouldn't load because its symbol versions didn't match drm's. There was no new i915, since drm-modules doesn't build it. Maybe you already said that in this thread, but it would be good to update the instructions to say that it won't work on Intrepid, please and thank you. Also, the package name "xorg-server-core" is wrong.

It's not totally useless with Intrepid; I am successfully (so far) using xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.6.0-1ubuntu0tormod and 7.2+git20081202+mesa-7-2-branch.3433a188-0ubuntu0tormod4. My 2D (fluxbox) desktop, and glxgears, work.

I guess I'll have to boot my Jaunty chroot lvm volume to test it, and if it works maybe figure out a way to boot that kernel but just mess around with chrooting to start X there. (hmm, and get clients to use the updated mesa libs, although the xorg-edgers for intrepid versions of those might work.)

I'm hoping the new mesa will work with e.g. vegastrike, and ta-spring. vegastrike used to work on my g965, but it's shaders haven't compiled for the last mesa version of so.

Code:
              vegastrike: shader/slang/slang_emit.c:297: storage_to_src_reg: Assertion `index >= 0' failed.
              I have an original desktop g965, which maybe doesn't have as many testers as gm965 and later, if that matters. Is this a known bug? I thought I'd seen things close enough that I wasn't sure on freedesktop.org. I haven't taken the time to file a proper report because Ubuntu never seems to catch up with upstream enough to even easily test the latest git version of mesa by just building it. There's always dependencies on the latest xorg and kernel stuff, which makes it more trouble than I sometimes want to take to test a version the mesa devs are still interested in.
              (And these aren't the sort of bugs that I think the Ubuntu maintainers could easily fix in the old version, so I usually try to report upstream to freedesktop.org.)
              Last edited by Peter_Cordes; 19 January 2009, 05:10 PM.

Comment

llama, thanks for bringing this to my attention. The problem is that intel driver development is based on the latest kernel (2.6.28 or newer) and the drm modules shipped in the kernel. They don't keep the modules in the libdrm source up to date any longer. So much for backwards compatibility.

I can try reverting the commit that you mention, but I am not sure if this now abandoned code will work well. Especially since they refer to it as a user trap...

Another solution is to install the Jaunty kernel in your Intrepid system. Works very well for me.

Comment

llama, thanks for bringing this to my attention. The problem is that intel driver development is based on the latest kernel (2.6.28 or newer) and the drm modules shipped in the kernel. They don't keep the modules in the libdrm source up to date any longer. So much for backwards compatibility.
                  I've been following the news stories on Phoronix about it. Sounds like there's so many changes up in the air that it would be a waste of their time trying to backport things that might get redesigned/rewritten again soon anyway. It's just too bad the current "stable" Intel drivers aren't that good, so I can't just use the old stuff until the new stuff is ready.

I follow open source development the way some people watch sports on TV, I think. Instead of wanting to know the score in the latest game, I look at the interesting changelogs from a few projects, like x264.

I can try reverting the commit that you mention, but I am not sure if this now abandoned code will work well. Especially since they refer to it as a user trap...
                  I don't think it's a good idea to have people test code that upstream says is a user trap. I was not suggesting that at all. It would be an exercise in frustration for anyone having problems with it, and upstream wouldn't be interested in any bugs found.

Probably better to update the instructions to say you _need_ 2.6.28 if you want the latest mesa to do anything fancy. Otherwise it will just work as it always has on 2.6.27.

Another solution is to install the Jaunty kernel in your Intrepid system. Works very well for me.
                  Good to hear that. I've often used the kernel from Ubuntu unstable. I'll try Jaunty's kernel again now that NFS is fixed (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/306343).

Comment

nexuiz on a Jaunty + xorg-edgers setup on g965 actually works fine (with UXA or EXA), even with glsl shaders enabled!! Finally... it hasn't worked for a while now, (not Intrepid, and maybe not Hardy either IIRC.) And it's fast enough to be very playable at 1280x1024 (without dynamic lights or shadows).

There are (or were) a few fd.o bugs about Nexuiz's shaders specifically causing problems for mesa.

Doesn't work for me with packages from xorg-edgers. Nexuiz triggers an X server lockup:

Xorg.0.log
                    Code:
                    Backtrace:
                    0: /usr/bin/X11/X(xorg_backtrace+0x26) [0x4ee236]
                    1: /usr/bin/X11/X(mieqEnqueue+0x23f) [0x4cebbf]
                    2: /usr/bin/X11/X(xf86PostMotionEventP+0xc4) [0x487d14]
                    3: /usr/bin/X11/X(xf86PostMotionEvent+0xb1) [0x487ef1]
                    4: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input//evdev_drv.so [0x7fee8e57183f]
                    5: /usr/bin/X11/X [0x498df5]
                    6: /usr/bin/X11/X [0x473457]
                    7: /lib/libpthread.so.0 [0x7feea761b0f0]
                    8: /lib/libc.so.6(ioctl+0x7) [0x7feea5c7da17]
                    9: /usr/lib/libdrm.so.2(drmIoctl+0x23) [0x7feea4858383]
                    10: /usr/lib/libdrm.so.2(drmCommandNone+0x16) [0x7feea4858686]
                    11: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//intel_drv.so [0x7feea45df9d8]
                    12: /usr/bin/X11/X [0x525a99]
                    13: /usr/bin/X11/X [0x4fdb51]
                    14: /usr/bin/X11/X(BlockHandler+0x50) [0x451190]
                    15: /usr/bin/X11/X(WaitForSomething+0x161) [0x4eb581]
                    16: /usr/bin/X11/X(Dispatch+0x7f) [0x44d46f]
                    17: /usr/bin/X11/X(main+0x45d) [0x43376d]
                    18: /lib/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xe6) [0x7feea5bbd466]
                    19: /usr/bin/X11/X [0x432b49]
                    ERROR:  Server Lockup!  Stuck in an infinite loop.  See backtrace above.
                    dmesg:
                    Code:
                     [drm:i915_wait_irq] *ERROR* EBUSY -- rec: 374 emitted: 377
                    Maybe Intrepid will work with a more recent mesa and/or X server than the edgers current:
                    libgl1-mesa-dri 7.2+git20081202+mesa-7-2-branch.3433a188-0ubuntu0tormod4
                    xserver-xorg-core 2:1.5.3+git20081216+server-1.5-branch.4970d757-0ubuntu0tormod1
                    libdrm2 2.4.3+git20090110.badc6346-0ubuntu0tormod2~intrepid

Jaunty + edgers (which worked well) has
                    xserver-xorg-core 2:1.5.99.901-0ubuntu1
                    xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.6.99.1+git20090102.1f61e979-0ubuntu0tormod
                    libgl1-mesa-dri 7.3~rc1-1ubuntu0tormod3
                    libdrm2 2.4.3+git20090110.badc6346-0ubuntu0tormod~jaunty

BTW, you probably meant 2.5.99, not 2.6.99, right? You're going to need a new epoch (3:2.6.0) for that version number to be higher than 2:2.6.99....

I'll try updating my git repos and building mesa. Now, what's the correct git incantation to get the right branch/head... I think
                    Code:
                    git checkout -b mesa73rc2 --track mesa_7_3_rc2
                    git pull
                    Last edited by Peter_Cordes; 20 January 2009, 01:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by llama View Post
                      BTW, you probably meant 2.5.99, not 2.6.99, right? You're going to need a new epoch (3:2.6.0) for that version number to be higher than 2:2.6.99....
                      No, this is the master branch (past 2.6.0) that will be 2.7 one day...

I'll try updating my git repos and building mesa. Now, what's the correct git incantation to get the right branch/head...
                      Please try the xorg-edgers scripts also! What I use to make all these packages is "auto-xorg-git" with a few options and a sometimes a few manual steps (marked with "+" in the changelog). For instance
                      Code:
                      auto-xorg-git -g -b xf86-video-intel-2.6-branch -r intrepid -H hooks intel
                      and it will do the git stuff and make a debian source package ready to be uploaded to the PPA or built locally with "debuild -b -us -uc".

The PPA is a demonstration of these tools, and I am not putting whatever effort into making all kind of backports or make them more stable or performing than official Ubuntu...

Comment

Working...
                      X