Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Contributor Covenant Is Now Adopted By All Intel Open-Source Projects (OTC)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    And you can take your ignorance and prejudice and shove where the sun don't shine.....
    This is still a dream, you are still asleep. Don't forget to read the other parts of the Manifesto when you wake up.

Comment

I hope this is some sort of joke or social experiment. I recall when Poettering was calling the Open Source community "sick" and his comments. I took it for a outburst of fever in a microcosm. I hope this is the work of a very vocal minority of corporate morons. Being raised by actual SWJs i know they are stubborn to the point of being suicidal if needed.

I already watch my donations and acquisitions. I'll double down on circumspection. Fortunately (or not), these kind of political statements are largely ignored by the users so it will not bring much discredit to FOSS in general.

Amusing like some users pushing this kind of stuff in the name of civility tell those who disagree with them to shove their opinions in their anuses.

Comment

Originally posted by Dedale View Post
        I hope this is some sort of joke or social experiment. I recall when Poettering was calling the Open Source community "sick" and his comments. I took it for a outburst of fever in a microcosm. I hope this is the work of a very vocal minority of corporate morons. Being raised by actual SWJs i know they are stubborn to the point of being suicidal if needed.

I already watch my donations and acquisitions. I'll double down on circumspection. Fortunately (or not), these kind of political statements are largely ignored by the users so it will not bring much discredit to FOSS in general.

Amusing like some users pushing this kind of stuff in the name of civility tell those who disagree with them to shove their opinions in their anuses.
        Prejudice is not an opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Dedale View Post

Some opinions are simply invalid and unacceptable. Don't believe me? Look at history. Nazis thought it was a valid opinion to discriminate against jews and millions ended up murdered and others were used as cruel slave labour. By your standards, it's fine to have any opinion no matter how dangerous. That sort of thinking is why humanity is in this endless circle of violence hate and prejudice. Some opinions must be fought against for the greater good and we cannot give them an inch because that's were they take hold and the ball starts rolling. Hate is not even an opinion, it is an emotion and when uncontrolled it can be very dangerous.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
            OTC is a spectacular institution, and I hope they don't let the culture war do the same damage to their communities that it's done elsewhere, but alas... It looks like we're in for a world where major upstreams are inaccessible to anyone with any pride or passion for their work, and anything other than the desired milquetoast go-with-the-flow herd worshiping coward mentality. The people who will put up with the chilling effects are those who are paid to do so, now more than ever. For some projects that will probably work for the most part: there are enough major corps to bankroll and keep development going, and that's a large part of how things are now anyhow.

I, for one, would rather not spend any time risking helping or mentoring anyone associated with these projects, because one seedy joke (something I am occasionally fond of), or one public statement unrelated to the project, can throw away any social investments you've made in one of these communities.

It's shit, but it is what it is.
            I think this is a misunderstanding. The covenant is especially there to protect you and other passionate developers to move in and contribute without having to fear a barrage of demotivating comments that serve no purpose. Just as we all find it normal we don't start a fist fight for every disagreement, people now also expect to be treated respectfully when in the middle of a heated discussion. We all care about our opinions, and when we're invested in a certain technology or solution it can easily feel personal when others dismiss it. When that happens in disrespectful manner, things can go out of hand very quickly. So it is very important to be honest, open but respectful and polite. These are not orthogonal, but it requires tact and sometimes also experience.

We're all humans and we make mistakes all the time. Those mistakes can be technical but we can also misjudge the impact our words and joke have on others rather easily. When that happens, we simply listen, discuss and apologize so we can all move on. A covenant will not result in a ban after a single joke. It is consistent behaviour that negatively affects others which will be addressed. Those members that refuse to listen and reflect upon their actions will be deemed a liability rather than an asset and will consequently be kicked out.

Originally posted by Redfoxmoon View Post
            Well there, now Intel has taken one step closer to the abyss by adopting marxism, nice. I am not in the slightest surprised though because of Intel's previous track record.

edit: forgot to add, when projects adopt these things, do not contribute to them, either fork or write new projects, this is the only way to rid FOSS of this cancer.
            I think you got it backwards: it is capitalism at work here. It is all about efficiency. Dysfunctional communities where members insult and swear at each other are simply not effective. A high performing team that comes up with creative solutions, and is able to attract new talent to remain relevant, is one where there is an open, honest, constructive and respectful dialogue between its members. These things are here to stay I hope, and it will only make FOSS stronger.
            Last edited by Davidovitch; 02 November 2018, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Davidovitch View Post

I think this is a misunderstanding. The covenant is especially there to protect you and other passionate developers to move in and contribute without having to fear a barrage of demotivating comments that serve no purpose. Just as we all find it normal we don't start a fist fight for every disagreement, people now also expect to be treated respectfully when in the middle of a heated discussion. We all care about our opinions, and when we're invested in a certain technology or solution it can easily feel personal when others dismiss it. When that happens in disrespectful manner, things can go out of hand very quickly. So it is very important to be honest, open but respectful and polite. These are not orthogonal, but it requires tact and sometimes also experience.

We're all humans and we make mistakes all the time. Those mistakes can be technical but we can also misjudge the impact our words and joke have on others rather easily. When that happens, we simply listen, discuss and apologize so we can all move on. A covenant will not result in a ban after a single joke. It is consistent behaviour that negatively affects others which will be addressed. Those members that refuse to listen and reflect upon their actions will be deemed a liability rather than an asset and will consequently be kicked out.

I think you got it backwards: it is capitalism at work here. It is all about efficiency. Dysfunctional communities where members insult and swear at each other are simply not effective. A high performing team that comes up with creative solutions, and is able to attract new talent to remain relevant, is one where there is an open, honest, constructive and respectful dialogue between its members. These things are here to stay I hope, and it will only make FOSS stronger.
              With all due respect, I think you are the one who is misunderstanding this particular document, it is not just anything.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
                With all due respect, I think you are the one who is misunderstanding this particular document, it is not just anything.
                I understand very well your argument against the contributor covenant, but I simply don't agree with the conclusion you draw. From that perspective, I think it is a misunderstanding: the covenant is not likely to lead to either a loss in quality, less contributors, and/or FOSS dying. But fair enough, using the word misunderstanding could be interpreted as a derogatory comment. I apologize for that, I should just simply have said I disagreed.

Do I understand you correctly that you think it is not possible to be proud/passionate and polite/not-racist/not-sexist at the same time? Personally I don't see any problem with that, in fact, out my working place that is a given. Any other behaviour is considered unprofessional and will be dealt with, but in a constructive and forgiving manner (we're all humans and we'll all upset someone at some point with how we communicate).
                Last edited by Davidovitch; 03 November 2018, 07:57 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post
                    Some opinions are simply invalid and unacceptable. Don't believe me? Look at history. Nazis thought it was a valid opinion to discriminate against jews and millions ended up murdered and others were used as cruel slave labour. By your standards, it's fine to have any opinion no matter how dangerous. That sort of thinking is why humanity is in this endless circle of violence hate and prejudice. Some opinions must be fought against for the greater good and we cannot give them an inch because that's were they take hold and the ball starts rolling. Hate is not even an opinion, it is an emotion and when uncontrolled it can be very dangerous.
                    Woah woah woah, slow down. While Nazis did technically discriminate against jews, it is a gross misrepresentation of their intent. It's a bit like saying criminals discriminate against people who are easy victims; while technically true, their intent is hardly discrimination alone.

To that point I don't think calling opinions invalid and unacceptable will solve anything. You can have whatever opinions you want as long as you don't act in a way that causes unnecessary harm. I may still disagree with them and fight them with reason and logic, but I neither am the thought police nor would I wish for there to be one.

But fair enough, using the word misunderstanding could be interpreted as a derogatory comment. I apologize for that, I should just simply have said I disagreed.
                    What? If pointing out an unintentional error in interpretation can be equated to a derogatory comment, then we are clearly speaking in different forks of English.
                    Last edited by Djhg2000; 05 November 2018, 08:08 AM. Reason: Horrible typos

Comment

Originally posted by Djhg2000 View Post

Woah woah woah, slow down. While Nazis did technically discriminate against jews, it is a gross misrepresentation of their intent. It's a bit like saying criminals discriminate against people who are easy victims; while technically true, their intent is hardly discrimination alone.

To that point I don't think calling opinions invalid and unacceptable will solve anything. You can have whatever opinions you want as long as you don't act in a way that causes unnecessary harm. I may still disagree with them and fight them with reason and logic, but I neither am the thought police nor would I wish for there to be one.

What? If pointing out an unintentional error in interpretation can be equated to a derogatory comment, then we are clearly speaking in different forks of English.
                      Defending nazis now are we? They're fine because they have good "intent"? Jeez... And some people here still think it's too strong rhetoric when I call out people for being fascists. I hope they are reading this because it should be pretty clear now.

Comment

Working...
                      X