Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel KVMGT 2018-Q3 Released As Their Latest Open-Source GPU Virtualization Bits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel KVMGT 2018-Q3 Released As Their Latest Open-Source GPU Virtualization Bits

Phoronix: Intel KVMGT 2018-Q3 Released As Their Latest Open-Source GPU Virtualization Bits

Intel developers today announced the release of KVMGT 2018-Q3 (also known as Intel GVT-g for KVM) as well as the accompany Xen hypervisor tailored XenGT 2018-Q3 update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This GPU virtualization support continues working with Intel 5th Gen Core/Xeon "Broadwell" processors and newer with guest operating systems being Linux as well as Windows 7 or newer.
    That is not a 100% true; if you take a look at the if you look at the client platform, you will notice that Coffee Lake is not on the list. They didn't have plans to "investigate" Coffee Lake until now.

Comment

Originally posted by CuriousTommy View Post

That is not a 100% true; if you take a look at the if you look at the client platform, you will notice that Coffee Lake is not on the list. They didn't have plans to "investigate" Coffee Lake until now.
      Yes. They could've been more clear about that too. I got myself a fancy mobo and an i7-8700 just to find out, nope, that one's not supported, so I had to get the i7-7700, which obviously required a new mobo as well. Annoying.

The "… and newer"-assumption can really bite.

By the way; I'm not sure "until now" means what we think it means. I think it might be a language issue and that he means "no plans at this time", rather than "didn't have plans until now".

He wrote in March that: «Hello, now we only support Skylake and Kabylake, and next plan is support Icelake but not Coffee Lake or Cannon Lake. ☺»

I haven't seen anything to indicate that has changed.

Comment

Originally posted by jo-erlend View Post

Yes. They could've been more clear about that too. I got myself a fancy mobo and an i7-8700 just to find out, nope, that one's not supported, so I had to get the i7-7700, which obviously required a new mobo as well. Annoying.

The "… and newer"-assumption can really bite.

What is weird about this is that they never stated the reason for why there is no support for Coffee Lake. It makes me wonder if Coffee Lake has a design flaw or bug they don't want to talk about.

Originally posted by jo-erlend View Post
        By the way; I'm not sure "until now" means what we think it means. I think it might be a language issue and that he means "no plans at this time", rather than "didn't have plans until now".

He wrote in March that: «Hello, now we only support Skylake and Kabylake, and next plan is support Icelake but not Coffee Lake or Cannon Lake. ☺»

I haven't seen anything to indicate that has changed.
        Yeah, you are probably right...

Comment

Working...
        X