Intel Launches Its 9th Gen Coffeelake-S CPUs Led By The Core i9 9900K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Launches Its 9th Gen Coffeelake-S CPUs Led By The Core i9 9900K

Phoronix: Intel Launches Its 9th Gen Coffeelake-S CPUs Led By The Core i9 9900K

Happening now in New York City is the Intel "Fall Desktop Launch Event" where they are announcing their latest wares, much of which has already been leaked to date...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Skylake Refresh Refresh Refresh (14nm++++)

Seriously, why are they stuck in the same generation for years? Is Cannon Lake too hard for them?

One more thing I just noticed: There are zero links in the article...
    Last edited by tildearrow; 08 October 2018, 09:36 PM. Reason: got the name wrong. should be "14nm", not "skylake". thanks xiando

Comment

I wonder if Coffee Lake Refresh is based on Whiskey Lake or not. That would make these CPUs quite faster than the original Coffee Lake parts because some meltdown/spectre vulnerabilities are fixed in hardware in Whiskey Lake.
      Last edited by birdie; 09 October 2018, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        Skylake++++

Seriously, why are they stuck in the same generation for years? Is Cannon Lake too hard for them?
        they have a problem with 10nm since 2016, and they didnt port ice lake to 14nm, so were left with skylake with more cores and higher clocks
        Last edited by davidbepo; 08 October 2018, 11:22 AM. Reason: time travel typo :)

Comment

What's up with the recent offerings without hyperthreading? Intel needs another way to be cheap with their customers after AMD forced them to start increasing the core count?

Comment

Originally posted by msotirov View Post
            What's up with the recent offerings without hyperthreading? Intel needs another way to be cheap with their customers after AMD forced them to start increasing the core count?
            Pretty much & marketing - I've seen a screenshot of Amazon CPU page with 8700K and 2700X listing side by side with the same base clock, 2 core advantage and price advantage on AMD side - looks like better value, even if you don't know anything about PCs.
            With 9700K you see same clock count, slightly higher base clock, but if it had HT it would be cutting into higher tier CPUs - and cutting it allows you to sell the same chip with HT unlocked at a premium - 9900K.

Comment

OK, it seems they are started fixing some vulnerabilities in hardware there, cool

Intel also notes that these are its first desktop processors to have hardware fixes for the Meltdown Variant 3 and L1 Terminal Fault issues, with the remaining protections done through software.
              https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/8/1...-core-i9-9900k

While others talk like this:

The new lineup of processors also comes with in-built silicon mitigations for the Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities.
              https://www.tomshardware.com/news/in...esh,37898.html

This TH seems the best of ALL

From a security standpoint, there’s another plus: The new 9th-generation parts contain some of Intel’s first mitigations in hardware to solve the Meltdown bug, the company said.
              https://www.pcworld.com/article/3311...ies-parts.html

What makes this a little different are the eight-core products. In order to make these, Intel had to create new die masks for the manufacturing line, as their previous masks only went up to six cores (and before that, four cores). This would, theoretically, give Intel a chance to implement some of the hardware mitigations for Spectre/Meltdown. As of the time of writing, we have not been given any indication that this is the case, perhaps due to the core design being essentially a variant of Skylake in a new processor. We will have to wait until a new microarchitecture comes to the forefront to see any changes.
              https://www.anandtech.com/show/13401...0k-9700k-9600k

Ha, ha, i guess shit will be confirmed on a fresh new harassment-free kernel development, becase media seems have no idea what they are talking about yet
              Last edited by dungeon; 08 October 2018, 12:46 PM.

Comment

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us.../i9-9900k.html
                > just 16 PCIe lanes on the CPU (you do get more with motherboard switches)
                > No ECC Support
                > No HDMI 2.0 (no 4k60hz) support (but they can into 4k60hz on DisplayPort)
                > Just DDR4-2666 memory support
                >3.60 GHz clock
                >14 nm "++++"
                >spectre/meltdown bugs still not fixed
                >admits on their own slides in their presentation that "security" patches are not applied
                >Retail price will be $800-1000
                meanwhile Intel's current CPUs have not come down in price in Europe after a 50% price increase in September. This overpriced housefire joke of a CPU from Intel will be a paper launch.

It's over, Intel is bankrupt and finished.

Comment

Fail Desktop Launch Event

That's what my brain saw, looking at the article again after reading through this pessimism.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
                  Last edited by andreano; 08 October 2018, 01:24 PM.

Comment

My biggest question is what marketing chutzpah Intel is going to use after the i9-9900. i9-9999?
                    I'm sure all conspiracy theorists already have their monitors upside-down as proof of the evil corporation agenda.

My oh my. How are they going fix this?

Comment

Working...
                    X