Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Working To Improve The Reset Experience During GPU Hangs

Phoronix: Intel Working To Improve The Reset Experience During GPU Hangs

Driven to improve the Chrome OS user-experience, Intel open-source developers have been working on improving their GPU reset behavior when encountering problems under 3D/multimedia workloads...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is there any progress for amdgpu and recovery?

Comment

Seems like Windows is far ahead with this. Though I basically never encounter hangs with free drivers, unlike with Nvidia Linux or Windows drivers.

Edit: Apart from Wayland sessions, of course.

Comment

Resetting properly is important but it's no replacement for not crashing in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by squash View Post
          Resetting properly is important but it's no replacement for not crashing in the first place.
          True, but now we really need the (kinda bugged) reset system to work properly...

This is the problem with open-source. We want to build bug-free software, but not any sort of self-healing mechanisms........

Being able to hot-swap drives in RAID arrays is important but it's no replacement for eternal hard drives in the first place.
          Last edited by tildearrow; 28 September 2018, 02:11 PM.

Comment

I am glad too see this, my Core i5-7200U (HD Graphics 620) locked up every 2 days without any messages in syslogs. Initially I thought it was faulty RAM, but it seemed to work on Windows without any issues. Today I still wonder what was wrong with it. The laptop was stolen when I was held at gunpoint in my own home (no jokes this really happened last year). I'm using an older Core i3-4005U (HD Graphics 4400) for code review, sysadmin and presentations with no lockups so far *touch wood*.

Comment

I also hope they implement a better solution.
              My Tumbleweed was freezing the computer after boot/starting KDE. I thought the os got corrupted.
              Booting into Win7 it showed a tooltip that the graphics driver was reset - screen flickering and after 5 times the message the computer switched off.
              I sent my MSI RX480 in for repair.
              I hope Linux will be as helpful in such situations.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                Is there any progress for amdgpu and recovery?
                is there work on this?

Comment

Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post

is there work on this?
                  There is some, but so far it's unusable.

Comment

This is great. I'm running a Core i7-8550U on Arch Linux with latest stable kernel, Xorg, Mesa, Wayland, etc... and my laptop freezes a few times a week (sometimes a few times per day!). Getting really frustrating.

Comment

Working...
                    X