Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Iris Gallium3D Forming As Their Future OpenGL Driver, Promising Early Results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tichun
    Why develop *new* GL driver instead of focusing on Vulkan?
    because you didn't rewrite all opengl apps

Comment

btw, i'm surprised nobody suggested dropping this in favour of gl over vulkan wrapper yet

Comment

pal666 Michael mentioned it in his article, so I'm guessing everyone else was either actually interested in this driver (myself included) or found it redundant to repeat what was in the article. Guest wondered why they'd spend any time on this instead of Vulkan, which checks your drop box (pun intended!).
        ​​​​​​​
        While the future is with Vulkan and they have a great open-source Vulkan driver in shape with "ANV" stack, they are still investing in OpenGL due to the many applications still relying upon OpenGL now and for the foreseeable future. (Of course, that could change as well somewhat if the also-new Zink Gallium3D that is mapping OpenGL on top of Vulkan -- one of several open-source projects aiming for some form of GL over this modern graphics API. But that work too is in a preliminary state.)

Comment

Originally posted by chinoto View Post
          pal666 Michael mentioned it in his article, so I'm guessing everyone else was either actually interested in this driver (myself included) or found it redundant to repeat what was in the article.
          michael didn't suggest dropping iris in favour of zink, so i'm still surprised
          Guest wondered why they'd spend any time on this instead of Vulkan
          he wondered why they do new gl driver, zink is also new gl driver

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
            michael didn't suggest dropping iris in favour of zink, so i'm still surprised
            he wondered why they do new gl driver, zink is also new gl driver
            Sure, he didn't really suggest dropping it, but he did mention Zink, which is an OpenGL over Vulkan wrapper. I'm not sure if you were specifically referring to Zink in comment #23 or were even aware of it, that's why I quoted his article.
            Yes, Iris and Zink are new OpenGL drivers, but Guest is interested in Vulkan development and Zink runs on top of Vulkan drivers, which might make Zink appealing to him.

Comment

Sure, he didn't really suggest dropping it, but he did mention Zink, which is an OpenGL over Vulkan wrapper. I'm not sure if you were specifically referring to Zink in comment #23 or were even aware of it, that's why I quoted his article.
              i was specifically referring to zink because i've already seen such suggestions in other threads

Comment

Working...
              X