Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Iris Gallium3D Forming As Their Future OpenGL Driver, Promising Early Results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Iris Gallium3D Forming As Their Future OpenGL Driver, Promising Early Results

Phoronix: Intel Iris Gallium3D Forming As Their Future OpenGL Driver, Promising Early Results

Last month we noted a new Gallium3D driver in-development by Intel dubbed "Iris" and potentially replacing their existing "classic i965" Mesa driver for recent generations of Intel HD/UHD/Iris graphics hardware. Intel developers have begun talking about this new open-source Linux GPU driver today at the XDC 2018 conference in A Coruña, Spain...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The Iris Gallium3D driver is just supporting NIR and not the TGSI Gallium IR.
    Will this driver support Nine tracker then?

Comment

In theory, yes.

Comment

Is there a place where we can watch the video of the presentation?

Comment

Originally posted by Venemo View Post
          Is there a place where we can watch the video of the presentation?
          Just the livestream, not aware of any recordings being uploaded anywhere yet or even slide decks.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Just the livestream, not aware of any recordings being uploaded anywhere yet or even slide decks.
            So did it work for you today? I still faced issues and couldn't get it to load. Then I gave up and thankfully you'll cover the most interesting talks.

Comment

Originally posted by tichun
              Why develop *new* GL driver instead of focusing on Vulkan?
              Because the rest of mesa development is leaving them in the dust... their old driver doesn't share as much code with the rest of the newer drivers.

Also since NIR exists, its less work to do now... than it would have been before. They'll probably eventually port the Vulkan driver to this also.

Also GL is far from dead GL is and will remain king of enterprise applications for the foreseeable future.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post

So did it work for you today? I still faced issues and couldn't get it to load. Then I gave up and thankfully you'll cover the most interesting talks.
                I ended up getting it working albeit very low quality and occasional lag.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Hmm, as Broadwell can do Vulkan 1.1 as well, and if I remember right there weren't any big differences between Broadwell and Skylakes GPU, Broadwell (aka Gen8) should be supportable quite easily as well...

Comment

Will this driver work for older GMA 3500 and the like? Basically, Core2Duo-era chips...
                    They weren't IMO bad, the drivers were bad. I could get 70FPS in Minetest, however it only had OpenGL 2.1, now my nVidia Quadro FX 770M has OpenGL 3.3, but only tops out at 60FPS.

Comment

Working...
                    X