Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OBS Studio Now Supports VA-API For Video Encoding

Phoronix: OBS Studio Now Supports VA-API For Video Encoding

For those of you using OBS Studio for screen recording on the Linux desktop or screencasting, the latest code now supports GPU-offloading to VA-API for the H.264 video encode process...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Cool. What about AMD? As far as I know, AMD AMF is Windows only, but AMD does expose encoding in VA-API so maybe this can be hooked up for AMD hardware as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post
      Cool. What about AMD? As far as I know, AMD AMF is Windows only, but AMD does expose encoding in VA-API so maybe this can be hooked up for AMD hardware as well?
      Should be supported. Even now u can compile OBS with unofficial patches for vaapi support and it work fine on AMD GPU, ofc if your gpu support encoding h264 via vaapi.
      If I good remember we have few apps with support for this. One is SSR (need some tweaks) and comand line "screencast".

Screencast support vaapi out-of-box.

Comment

Awesome! It's sad that it took so long for this to happen, given Intel has supported video encoding through open source drivers for several years now. We really need to work on changing open source software to better use the hardware in our computers - video encoding should be useful for video calls too.

Comment

Originally posted by xpris View Post
          Even now u can compile OBS with unofficial patches for vaapi support and it work fine on AMD GPU
          Since it's upstream now, you can simply compile obs-studio-git.

Already gave it a go, seems to work without issues with my IGP as secondary GPU. However, compared to QuickSync on Windows, the options offered via GUI are a bit sparse. An equivalent to QuickSync balanced profile and ICQ bitrate control would be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
            video encoding should be useful for video calls too.
            I would say video decoding support in web-browsers upstream codebase would be a great start.

Comment

For anyone interested on the intel side this means Sandy Bridge Graphics and newer if it supports everything that VA-API does.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                Since it's upstream now, you can simply compile obs-studio-git.

Already gave it a go, seems to work without issues with my IGP as secondary GPU. However, compared to QuickSync on Windows, the options offered via GUI are a bit sparse. An equivalent to QuickSync balanced profile and ICQ bitrate control would be nice.
                Don't work still for AMD hardware encode, have to use GloriousEggroll's still, Found out as I thought that was part of the merge .

Edit :

Just to add, this is for my rx64.
                Last edited by pete910; 26 September 2018, 02:37 PM. Reason: Info added

Comment

Can't see anything Intel specific in the patch from a quick glance...

Comment

Originally posted by pete910 View Post

Don't work still for AMD hardware encode, have to use GloriousEggroll's still, Found out as I thought that was part of the merge .

Edit :

Just to add, this is for my rx64.
                    Oh, thanks for sharing this. This seems to have done the trick for my Vega56. Now if only I could get this working with something like kdenlive.

Comment

Working...
                    X