Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Has Also Relicensed Their FSP Binaries: A Big Win To Coreboot, LinuxBoot

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Intel Has Also Relicensed Their FSP Binaries: A Big Win To Coreboot, LinuxBoot

    Phoronix: Intel Has Also Relicensed Their FSP Binaries: A Big Win To Coreboot, LinuxBoot

    There's some good news beyond Intel's CPU microcode re-licensing to clear up the confusion among users and developers this week: Intel is also re-licensing their FSP binaries to this same shorter and much more concise license...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...er-FSP-License

  • #2
    Well, good on them to turn a bad news day into a good news day, in some sense. I hope they are rewarded for their good behaviour.

    Comment


    • #3
      This is an improvement, indeed.

      In the future I'd like to see lots of open hardware and open firmware on the market. Until that day comes, I welcome every step towards it which makes the situation a little better.

      I feel like we have already won when it comes to Free / Open Source software.

      We could do with a open hardware/firmware equivalent of Richard Stallman to passionately drive a movement. Our long term computer freedom, security and privacy depends on it.

      Comment


      • #4
        I wish AMD would release a open source FSP.
        Also hope for open source FSP when RISC-V comes along...

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          I wish AMD would release a open source FSP.
          Also hope for open source FSP when RISC-V comes along...
          I am sure that AMD will soon mull making that move as well considering Intel just did. Now only if nVidia would have their graphics firmware under a similar license without all that crazy obfuscation...

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post

            I am sure that AMD will soon mull making that move as well considering Intel just did.
            Intel didn't Open Source their FSP; they just created a simpler and more permissive license than they had previously.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
              Now only if nVidia would have their graphics firmware under a similar license without all that crazy obfuscation...
              I doubt they ever will, because it'd reveal the details of the manufacturer's HDCP implementation - which they'll be contractually obliged to protect - as well as letting people install their own pervasive threats on the card. Think of a GPU as an extra computer with almost full access to the rest of your computer. It would be all too easy for a shipment to be intercepted by some three-letter agency and re-flashed with a version that looked fine, but was compromised.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by GreenReaper View Post

                I doubt they ever will, because it'd reveal the details of the manufacturer's HDCP implementation - which they'll be contractually obliged to protect - as well as letting people install their own pervasive threats on the card. Think of a GPU as an extra computer with almost full access to the rest of your computer. It would be all too easy for a shipment to be intercepted by some three-letter agency and re-flashed with a version that looked fine, but was compromised.
                What does that have to do with licensing?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
                  Intel didn't Open Source their FSP; they just created a simpler and more permissive license than they had previously.
                  Indeed. Also, they've recently shot down an attempt to reverse-engineer it in order to provide an open-source equivalent. Phoronix has reported on this.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    I wish AMD would release a open source FSP.
                    Also hope for open source FSP when RISC-V comes along...
                    Patents & hollywood prevent them from being open source.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X