No announcement yet.

Intel Has Also Relicensed Their FSP Binaries: A Big Win To Coreboot, LinuxBoot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Has Also Relicensed Their FSP Binaries: A Big Win To Coreboot, LinuxBoot

Phoronix: Intel Has Also Relicensed Their FSP Binaries: A Big Win To Coreboot, LinuxBoot

There's some good news beyond Intel's CPU microcode re-licensing to clear up the confusion among users and developers this week: Intel is also re-licensing their FSP binaries to this same shorter and much more concise license...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...er-FSP-License

Well, good on them to turn a bad news day into a good news day, in some sense. I hope they are rewarded for their good behaviour.

Comment

This is an improvement, indeed.

In the future I'd like to see lots of open hardware and open firmware on the market. Until that day comes, I welcome every step towards it which makes the situation a little better.

I feel like we have already won when it comes to Free / Open Source software.

We could do with a open hardware/firmware equivalent of Richard Stallman to passionately drive a movement. Our long term computer freedom, security and privacy depends on it.

Comment

I wish AMD would release a open source FSP.
        Also hope for open source FSP when RISC-V comes along...

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          I am sure that AMD will soon mull making that move as well considering Intel just did. Now only if nVidia would have their graphics firmware under a similar license without all that crazy obfuscation...

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post

I am sure that AMD will soon mull making that move as well considering Intel just did.
            Intel didn't Open Source their FSP; they just created a simpler and more permissive license than they had previously.

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
              Now only if nVidia would have their graphics firmware under a similar license without all that crazy obfuscation...
              I doubt they ever will, because it'd reveal the details of the manufacturer's HDCP implementation - which they'll be contractually obliged to protect - as well as letting people install their own pervasive threats on the card. Think of a GPU as an extra computer with almost full access to the rest of your computer. It would be all too easy for a shipment to be intercepted by some three-letter agency and re-flashed with a version that looked fine, but was compromised.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenReaper View Post

I doubt they ever will, because it'd reveal the details of the manufacturer's HDCP implementation - which they'll be contractually obliged to protect - as well as letting people install their own pervasive threats on the card. Think of a GPU as an extra computer with almost full access to the rest of your computer. It would be all too easy for a shipment to be intercepted by some three-letter agency and re-flashed with a version that looked fine, but was compromised.
                What does that have to do with licensing?

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
                  Intel didn't Open Source their FSP; they just created a simpler and more permissive license than they had previously.
                  Indeed. Also, they've recently shot down an attempt to reverse-engineer it in order to provide an open-source equivalent. Phoronix has reported on this.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    Patents & hollywood prevent them from being open source.

Comment

Working...
                    X