Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Clears Up Microcode Licensing Controversy - Simpler License, Allows Benchmarking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• howarth
    replied
    The rumor seems to be that this is related to the latest microcode changes disabling hyper threading to protect against the Foreshadow exploit.

Leave a comment:

• sandy8925
    replied
    Ugh, lawyers. You always need to keep the legal team on a tight leash.

Leave a comment:

• r1348
    replied
    I have the feeling that's a licence they apply to unreleased/preview software they send to partners for testing, and that somehow leaked into a mainstream release.
    Otherwise it would be literal PR foot-shooting.

Leave a comment:

• fuzz
    replied
    Originally posted by Xicronic View Post
    Shouldn't be legal to write stuff like this
    It's just as legal to keep you from knowing how pacemaker software works, even if your life depends on it .

Leave a comment:

• Xicronic
    replied
    This license ... just doesn't allow reverse-engineering/disassembly.
    Shouldn't be legal to write stuff like this

Leave a comment:

• Candy
    replied
    Intel is going to die a horrible death, once everything is moved on with ARM (no matter for their license to fuck around with ARM cpus)

Leave a comment:

• ruthan
    replied
    They just tried it, it could pass.. as other nasty things and after that it would be too late..

Leave a comment:

• pete910
    replied
    How on earth was they going to stop that exactly ?

Leave a comment:

• wswartzendruber
    replied
    Now is not the time for Intel to be arrogant.

Leave a comment:

• perpetually high
    replied
    Thanks Michael. I thought you handled the situation well for what it's worth.

It's no secret that I've been picky about my microcode's these days (using 22 instead of 25 on my Haswell). 22 was pre-Spectre/Meltdown, and since I disable all the mitigations in my boot parameters, I don't see any reason to slow down my machine.

I use Strict Site Isolation in my browsers, and I think that's good enough for me. Obviously for the wider industry, cloud providers, and the majority of others, this isn't a viable option, so yeah, I can understand why we're all pissed off. I'm just saying I turned that shit off and my system is flying.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X