Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clear Linux Now Offers Radeon Mesa Graphics Support, Yields Speed Advantage In Some Tests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clear Linux Now Offers Radeon Mesa Graphics Support, Yields Speed Advantage In Some Tests

Phoronix: Clear Linux Now Offers Radeon Mesa Graphics Support, Yields Speed Advantage In Some Tests

Intel's Clear Linux distribution is quite performant as shown by our many Linux distribution benchmarks for delivering lightening-fast out-of-the-box Linux performance that is generally unmatched by other distributions. While the Clear Linux package (bundle) archive continues getting larger and more desktop packages are being included, one area that sadly had been left out up until recently was support for RadeonSI/RADV. Up until recently their Mesa build was just with the Intel OpenGL/Vulkan driver support as well as the software rasterizers, but now the open-source Radeon drivers are being included as well as Nouveau too for open-source NVIDIA driver support. I took Clear Linux's Radeon stack for a whirl to check out the performance capabilities.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo?:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    for delivering lightening-fast out-of-the-box
    (lightening: making light, making it light... wouldn't it be "lightning"?)

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      Typo?:

(lightening: making light, making it light... wouldn't it be "lightning"?)
      Yep thanks.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Seems Vega support is a bit broken but otherwise I'm impressed they squeezed this much performance out of the drivers, considering most of the work isn't done on the CPU.

Comment

Damn, I'm really enjoying my Ubuntu 18.04 GNOME (customized as hell) but damn if this isn't tempting now to give ClearLinux a whirl on my RX 480.

What an all-star bundle: "Clear Linux as of this week during testing was shipping the Linux 4.16.12 kernel, GNOME Shell 3.28.2, X.Org Server 1.20.0, Mesa 18.2.0-devel built against LLVM 6.0 SVN for the AMDGPIU back-end, GCC 8.1.1"

Comment

It seems that everybody can learn something from Clear Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
              It seems that everybody can learn something from Clear Linux.
              I just think it's embarrassing, is all. All these guys have been in the Linux distrubition game for years, and get blown out of the water by Intel in their first crack at it. I know I'm being dramatic but it's not magic, Clear Linux is using common sense tweaks and the latest and greatest to beat the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
                I just think it's embarrassing, is all. All these guys have been in the Linux distrubition game for years, and get blown out of the water by Intel in their first crack at it. I know I'm being dramatic but it's not magic, Clear Linux is using common sense tweaks and the latest and greatest to beat the rest.
                "Normal" distributions are expected to work on a really wide variety of hardware. That's why they have to make performance trade offs (i.e. not using certain CPU features). If you want the highest performance, compile everything for your CPU. That's not something Clear Linux found out...

Comment

Originally posted by droste View Post

"Normal" distributions are expected to work on a really wide variety of hardware. That's why they have to make performance trade offs (i.e. not using certain CPU features). If you want the highest performance, compile everything for your CPU. That's not something Clear Linux found out...
                  All I'm saying is there's no reason why there can't be an Advanced installer for power users who want the most out of their system, otherwise users are free to choose the one-size-fits-all default settings. Just a suggestion, but I think it needs to be addressed since benchmarks aren't just going to stop happening.

Comment

Originally posted by droste View Post
                    Also, normal distributions are expected to be able to install ten's of thousands of different packages with different dependencies. ClearLinux doesn't even have a packaging system, just a few pre-compiled bundles. It's probably got less than one-fourth the capability anyone would demand from a big distribution like Debian or Fedora or openSUSE.

Has anyone actually tried running it as their primary desktop for a few weeks? I have never heard of anyone doing it.

Comment

Working...
                    X