HDCP 2.2 Content Protection Being Worked On For The i915 DRM Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HDCP 2.2 Content Protection Being Worked On For The i915 DRM Driver

Phoronix: HDCP 2.2 Content Protection Being Worked On For The i915 DRM Driver

With the upcoming Linux 4.17 kernel cycle there will be initial support for HDCP with the i915 DRM driver. That High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) support in its initial form is limited to v1.4 on HDMI/DP connectors, but HDCP 2.2 is now being tackled...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Can this be used against TEMPEST / van-Eck-Phreaking or is this just to rip even more control out of the user's hands over your own content and hardware?
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
      Can this be used against TEMPEST / van-Eck-Phreaking or is this just to rip even more control out of the user's hands over your own content and hardware?
      Neither?

HDCP is enforced if the application requests it.

Comment

OMG! Intel is implementing the exact same HDCP features that AMD implements in its hardware!

It's suddenly PURE EVIL when Intel does it, but it's OK for AMD though!

Comment

If we want high res movies on Netflix with linux, some compromise is ok

Comment

Originally posted by bemerk View Post
            Careful on that slope, it's slippery...

Comment

Originally posted by bemerk View Post
              Are you saying that we need to bend over in front of greedy companies?
              I can't believe people give away their liberty so easy.
              Do you think that if you make a compromise today, it will be the last one?
              It will be just one of the many it will come.
              In my opinion Benjamin Franklin said the smartest thing ever about this:
              "Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security."

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                Using the Intel Management Engine with its closed "OS" for HDCP against TEMPEST would trade one vulnerability to state-level attackers for another. Remember that even the US government demanded an (undocumented) way to disable IME. The key to doing this right is to not introduce new vulnerabilities, and to ensure that the keys used cannot be predicted by someone who has no access to the particular computer and monitor in question. Anyone able to export the keys online no longer needs the TEMPEST attack but is even more dangerous, hence the concerns about IME

Comment

bemerk - practically, it will never happen. Since the kernel and other driver components are open source, we can modify the to leak the unencrypted data stream at some point. There's a reason HDCP exists - content publishers are so paranoid, they don't trust users' hardware or software. Unless all of the software you run is closed source, they won't play in HD.

Comment

bemerk - the only potential benefit for Linux users is if open source apps can take advantage of this to play back users' video content in a secure manner. Otherwise this has zero benefit for Linux desktop users, and is meant for commercial products that use Intel GPU and Linux kernel.

Comment

Working...
                    X