No announcement yet.

Intel Publishes 56 Patches For Conformant Vulkan 1.1 Support With ANV Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Publishes 56 Patches For Conformant Vulkan 1.1 Support With ANV Driver

Phoronix: Intel Publishes 56 Patches For Conformant Vulkan 1.1 Support With ANV Driver

Intel has joined the party with NVIDIA and AMD in offering launch-day Linux driver support for the big new Vulkan 1.1 update available today from The Khronos Group...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow, same-day support by both Nvidia, AMD and now Intel!

Comment

What is the rationale behind making a big announcement (with NDAs, etc), though? Apart from justifying the adhesion fee, Ido't see any valid reason (don't take me wrong, I find it normal that they are getting funds somehow).

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
        What is the rationale behind making a big announcement (with NDAs, etc), though? Apart from justifying the adhesion fee, Ido't see any valid reason (don't take me wrong, I find it normal that they are getting funds somehow).
        Theoretically it's to keep the competition ( aka mostly Microsoft and Apple, as I don't know of any other graphics API worth mentioning) at bay, as while it is under NDA they would not (theoretically) know anything about the new API so they cannot develop a counter while Kronos is developing the API.

At least this is why NDAs on these things exist, I have no idea about how effective/required they are on this particular situation.

Comment

Thank you, Intel!

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

Theoretically it's to keep the competition ( aka mostly Microsoft and Apple, as I don't know of any other graphics API worth mentioning) at bay, as while it is under NDA they would not (theoretically) know anything about the new API so they cannot develop a counter while Kronos is developing the API.

At least this is why NDAs on these things exist, I have no idea about how effective/required they are on this particular situation.
            I think it's more about just getting press, I don't think they're trying to hide anything from MS/Apple and there's no way that would work even if they did. They want to make a big announcement that's picked up everywhere rather than dribbling out news over time and making it a non-event. Plus it provides a nice flag day for hard launches so that people can start using it right away, rather than having pieces come out over time and certain drivers supporting parts of it and not other parts, and devs having to figure out what parts different versions of different drivers, support, etc. Simpler to just make it a hard cut over for everyone at once.

That said, I don't know that I think any of the above is really worth it, but I do think that's why they do it. Some of it's also just the fact that that's the way it's always been done, and there is inertia. You have to prove that a new way of doing things brings benefits in order to change things.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
              I think it's more about just getting press, I don't think they're trying to hide anything from MS/Apple and there's no way that would work even if they did.
              NDAs are not about keeping things secret, but about keeping things illegal. If someone manages to demonstrate that MS/Apple breached an NDA to do something, Khronos or one of its members would sue them for some good profit.

This will hamper them.

With this I mean that an NDA without some kind of entity ready to sue the hell out of anyone breaching it is mostly useless.

Comment

Working...
              X