Intel Open-Sources LLVM Graphics Compiler, Compute Runtime With OpenCL 2.1+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Open-Sources LLVM Graphics Compiler, Compute Runtime With OpenCL 2.1+

Phoronix: Intel Open-Sources LLVM Graphics Compiler, Compute Runtime With OpenCL 2.1+

Now it's clear why Intel hasn't been working on the Beignet code-base in months as they have been quietly working on a new and better OpenCL stack and run-time! On open-source Intel OpenCL you can now have OpenCL 2.1 while OpenCL 2.2 support is on the way...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Will Neo support be broadened to include Broadwell in later updates, or this Arch (and earlier) left on Beignet/Closed-Source?

Comment

Couldn't this be used on other (AMD) GPUs as well? If that's a LLVM frontend, I don't see why it couldn't be used that way... And that would just be awesome for everyone (except for closed-source nvidia). But I admit I might be missing something there.

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
        Couldn't this be used on other (AMD) GPUs as well? If that's a LLVM frontend, I don't see why it couldn't be used that way... And that would just be awesome for everyone (except for closed-source nvidia). But I admit I might be missing something there.
        Their compiler is an LLVM backend, they are using Clang on the front.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Great news.

I wonder if they are putting in all this work because they are planning on getting into the GPU compute market in a bigger way. It's a huge and growing market now.

Maybe they're planning on making more server oriented discrete GPU-type things like this:
          Intel® Visual Compute Accelerator 2

Comment

Khronos really should merge all their GPU APIs into a single platform requirement. Vulkan, OpenCL, OpenGL, OpenAL, OpenMAX.

Even if it isn’t all bleeding edge up-to-date, being able to assume some version of each is available would be really helpful. E.g. OpenGL 4.6 must have at least OpenCL 1.2, etc....

Comment

compling this new driver on intel i7 6500u, I will se if this works like the old combo intel runtime closed and beignet

Comment

ok compile fails to me

Comment

While I appreciate the effort to bring more advanced OpenCL support to Intel IGPs, I can't help but feeling distressed that every time they make an advance, they reset the processor generation it's attached it. It makes it seem like older chips will never be supported. And by older chips, I mean anything but the current newest generation.

Comment

Originally posted by willmore View Post
                    While I appreciate the effort to bring more advanced OpenCL support to Intel IGPs, I can't help but feeling distressed that every time they make an advance, they reset the processor generation it's attached it. It makes it seem like older chips will never be supported. And by older chips, I mean anything but the current newest generation.
                    since they have a open driver the things will work with opengl and vulkan if gpu can do that. I have a sandybridge too and it only have ogl 3.3 because it can be more than that, for example Apple make their on driver and intel sandy only have 3.2 and windows 3.1. The support in linux by intel is good

Comment

Working...
                    X