Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Lol no.

"Robbing banks is morally OK because they have insurance on the cash they have in their vaults, so everything is fine, everybody wins."

Man up and stop posting this bullshit.
    You missed the sarcasm in my post. So I'll ruin it and actually explain it:

Netflix is pushing people to piracy with their DRM, meaning it has the exact opposite effect of what they actually intended. They use DRM in order to have lower piracy, but it actually results in more piracy. However, they keep using DRM. So in a way, it's like they're OK with how it works out.

There. Sarcasm ruined. You're no fun anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      You missed the sarcasm in my post. So I'll ruin it and actually explain it:

Netflix is pushing people to piracy with their DRM, meaning it has the exact opposite effect of what they actually intended. They use DRM in order to have lower piracy, but it actually results in more piracy. However, they keep using DRM. So in a way, it's like they're OK with how it works out.

There. Sarcasm ruined. You're no fun anymore.
      Or it pushes me into the livingroom to watch 4K stuff on the big telly If I were really that desperate though I'd reboot into Windows and use the Netflix "App" - I refuse to use Edge

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
        Or it pushes me into the livingroom to watch 4K stuff on the big telly If I were really that desperate though I'd reboot into Windows and use the Netflix "App" - I refuse to use Edge
        Or I can just download the movie from somewhere else. Way less hassle.

Some people think that piracy is only about price. In my experience, it's mostly about convenience. If the legal way is a huge pain in the ass, but pirating is fast and simple...

I buy games on GoG and Steam. One-click, I've got the game. In fact, I buy about 1000% more games than I can actually finish. I also have a Spotify subscription. One click, music plays in very high quality.

I happily pay for everything. And that's because these services have managed to be more convenient than piracy. But with Netflix, it's the reverse. I'm waving my credit card at them. "Take my money, give me an easy way to get 4K streaming." Nope. They're not having it. What other conclusion is there other than they don't *want* my money?
        Last edited by RealNC; 14 February 2018, 11:27 PM.

Comment

Quit posting bullshit to "rationalize" why you think is OK to steal shit and grow up, kiddo.

If you are against DRM you just don't buy it (go see movies in a multiplex or something).

Stealing it or encourage stealing it means you don't want to pay for it, not that you are against DRM.

Comment

I happily pay for everything. And that's because these services have managed to be more convenient than piracy. But with Netflix, it's the reverse. I'm waving my credit card at them. "Take my money, give me an easy way to get 4K streaming." Nope. They're not having it. What other conclusion is there other than they don't *want* my money?
            That they don't want you to see that content AT ALL without conforming to their rules? Why you keep up this broken teenage logic?

Really, here Netflix is mostly a victim, the ones that want these stupid restrictions are content producers, aka the studios making the movies.

Comment

Originally posted by Danniello View Post
              Netflix - working 720p without HDCP (with Firefox addon hack even 1080p)
              Thank you for that!

I didn't even know this.

Just wrote myself an extension I ended up integrating directly into my own browser build, so I can now enable/disable it by flipping "extensions.netflix1080.enabled" to true or false.

Comment

Quit posting bullshit to "rationalize" why you think is OK to steal shit and grow up, kiddo.
                *plonk*

Comment

If you are against DRM you just don't buy it (go see movies in a multiplex or something).

Stealing it or encourage stealing it means you don't want to pay for it, not that you are against DRM.
                  And unenforceable BS is unenforceable BS. You can't call something stealing when in fact it is distributed for free to anyone. All you have to do is type in "watch" before the movie name on almost any search bar and at least half a dozen sites will be in the search results where you can immediately watch that movie for free. And there is absolutely no government law or corporate policy that can change that fact.

Comment

Whilst it's not quite like stealing a handbag or a car. The original owner doesn't "lose" anything. Not even profits because the "pirate" was not going to buy it anyway. However, piracy isn't very sustainable and I think it can be handled better for those pirates who really are doing it purely as a form of protest (and we do exist, regardless of what others say. Heck most of us would pay double for DRM free copies so it isn't about getting things for free).

Fair enough, companies want to make money to stay in business and if we like their work, so do we. So the compromise is get a netflix account, buy the rights to watch the film but then make sure to download a DRM free copy from p2p instead. The company will see they get money and that people like the film and have purchased rights to watch it but see that no-one is actually streaming it. Their analytics will be screwed up and they will soon find out it is because of their DRM scheme is too tight. I see this as the only responsible anti-drm demonstration that we "the plebs" can do.

The one issue with this ideas is that as you p2p / torrent you also share the files yourself. This is the more illegal part of the whole thing even if you are paying / protest. If streaming services ever start using multiplexing or shared streaming, then this becomes (in my mind) much more justified.

For example Steam / Windows has some updates that get shared between computers on a local network. So whether these files get shared via their client or our torrent client from a technical point of view (and perhaps a packet sniffing point of view) has absolutely no difference.
                    Last edited by kpedersen; 15 February 2018, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                      Fair enough, companies want to make money to stay in business and if we like their work, so do we. So the compromise is get a netflix account, buy the rights to watch the film but then make sure to download a DRM free copy from p2p instead. The company will see they get money and that people like the film and have purchased rights to watch it but see that no-one is actually streaming it. Their analytics will be screwed up and they will soon find out it is because of their DRM scheme is too tight. I see this as the only responsible anti-drm demonstration that we "the plebs" can do.
                      I think netflix will just see a few idle accounts and that's all.
                      Buy DVD, CD Audio, go to the library, buy newspaper even, now "they" will see something and perpetuate these old ways - though this costs money.

Comment

Working...
                      X