No announcement yet.

HDCP Content Protection Support Called For Integration In DRM-Next / Linux 4.17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HDCP Content Protection Support Called For Integration In DRM-Next / Linux 4.17

Phoronix: HDCP Content Protection Support Called For Integration In DRM-Next / Linux 4.17

Initial support for High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) with the Intel DRM driver is being called for pulling into DRM-Next that in turn will land with Linux 4.17...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hmm... I have mixed fillings.

HDCP support means that will be possible to have legal BluRay software players on Linux, but who is using it anyway? Now everything is streamed. Today only Google Play Movies / Youtube Movies require HDCP - without it bought movies could be played in terrible, unacceptable nowadays quality (480p max!).

Except Google - I do not know any other media provider that require HDCP...

Netflix - working 720p without HDCP (with Firefox addon hack even 1080p)
    HBO GO - HD available without HDCP
    Showmax - HD available without HDCP

When HDCP will be everywhere - probably these services will start requiring HDCP...

Comment

The greed of a few is the enemy of the freedom of many!
      As for " this is just one piece of the puzzle"...
      I can think of "First they came ..." poem.
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_they_came_...
      And
      One by one...
      the free lands of Middle-earth
      fell to the power of the ring.
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lo...ip_of_the_Ring

Piece by piece, the puzzle will be complete one day and then we'll have a locked down restricted crap.
      I would rather fight against it at the beginning than at the end.
      Shame on greedy companies!

Comment

Originally posted by Danniello View Post
        Hmm... I have mixed fillings.

HDCP support means that will be possible to have legal BluRay software players on Linux, but who is using it anyway? Now everything is streamed. Today only Google Play Movies / Youtube Movies require HDCP - without it bought movies could be played in terrible, unacceptable nowadays quality (480p max!).

Except Google - I do not know any other media provider that require HDCP...

Netflix - working 720p without HDCP (with Firefox addon hack even 1080p)
        HBO GO - HD available without HDCP
        Showmax - HD available without HDCP

When HDCP will be everywhere - probably these services will start requiring HDCP...
        Any idea how to get 4K netflix or amazon prime on linux?

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post

The DRM framework required for that doesn't exist in the Linux ecosystem at this time. Android has what's needed, by design. Most Linux users won't be running hardware that is required to use the advanced DRM framework, so it's not a priority. Nvidia is working on their own implementation for Tegra hardware, but that's it.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post

You download a 4K webrip MKV file from p2p. Works fine. And don't worry, it's morally OK, since Netflix use DRM and thus they are protected against piracy. So everything's fine, everybody wins.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
              You download a 4K webrip MKV file from p2p. Works fine. And don't worry, it's morally OK, since Netflix use DRM and thus they are protected against piracy. So everything's fine, everybody wins.
              Lol no.

"Robbing banks is morally OK because they have insurance on the cash they have in their vaults, so everything is fine, everybody wins."

Man up and stop posting this bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Danniello View Post
                Yeah, I'm sure that they are only waiting for mainline Linux support to impose DHCP everywhere.

Seriously, it's less than 2% of total market, they didn't give a shit before, the won't give a shit after.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                  Piece by piece, the puzzle will be complete one day and then we'll have a locked down restricted crap.
                  HDCP does not hamper normal PC features in any way. It's an additional feature to allow you to see some types of content that also require you to pay something and usually to agree to some kind of contract.

What people should be fighting is Intel ME and AMD's PSP, not some completely optional and irrelevant DRM support feature.

Comment

What I'm wondering is how hard it would be to repurpose this when using an HDCP-capable monitor to encrypt ALL content sent to the monitor, so as to block 3ed parties from sniffing the RF from the monitor cable in a "TEMPEST attack" to see everything that you are seeing on your monitor. Would police and the FBI be able to use any existing HDCP cracks remotely (without posession of the hardware and thus any hardware keys) to defeat such an approach?

Comment

Working...
                    X