Genode Is Developing A GPU Multiplexer For Intel Graphics Hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genode Is Developing A GPU Multiplexer For Intel Graphics Hardware

Phoronix: Genode Is Developing A GPU Multiplexer For Intel Graphics Hardware

Besides talking about GNU Hurd in 2018 one of the other interesting talks in FOSDEM's micro-kernel track this year was on an Intel GPU resource multiplexer being developed by the Genode project...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I can already run multiple 3D apps concurrently on my Intel hardware. So what does this do special? Is the multiplexing done in hardware? Does it have security sandboxing features?

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
      I can already run multiple 3D apps concurrently on my Intel hardware. So what does this do special? Is the multiplexing done in hardware? Does it have security sandboxing features?
      Genode is not Linux

They have implemented in userspace what Linux does in the kernel - multiplexing of GPU resources. They did it just for Broadwell with possibility of Skylake+ later on while in Linux there's a lot more support for earlier hardware.

The video itself is a nice overview of how Linux graphics stack does handle this and how bad Intel's documentation is - they had to use the Linux driver code to fill the gaps in it.

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
        this sounds more like the Intel virtual GPU KVM / Xen thing, iGVT-g or what they call it these days.

Comment

Originally posted by numacross View Post

Genode is not Linux

They have implemented in userspace what Linux does in the kernel - multiplexing of GPU resources. They did it just for Broadwell with possibility of Skylake+ later on while in Linux there's a lot more support for earlier hardware.

The video itself is a nice overview of how Linux graphics stack does handle this and how bad Intel's documentation is - they had to use the Linux driver code to fill the gaps in it.
          Ah thanks. I thought Genode was an org doing Linux work.

Comment

Working...
          X