Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel OpenGL vs. Vulkan Performance With Mesa 18.0

Phoronix: Intel OpenGL vs. Vulkan Performance With Mesa 18.0

Given the very strong Vulkan vs. OpenGL performance in the recent low-end/older Linux gaming GPU tests with discrete graphics cards, I was curious to run some benchmarks seeing the current state of Intel's open-source OpenGL vs. Vulkan performance. With the Mesa 18.0 release to be branched soon, it was a good time seeing how the Intel i965 OpenGL and ANV Vulkan drivers compare.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    The Mad Max results are a bit moe competitive

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      Typo:
      Thanks, fixed.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Well, firstly thanks for these benchmarks.
        One can say that it doesn't matter that much anymore whether you use RADV or RadeonSI.
        On the other hand I don't find these CPU usage diagrams that useful. I mean in the end there must be something like X calls the CPU has to process to achieve Y FPS.
        You might see whether some driver has much overhead. But the main purpose of Vulkan is to distribute the load on each processor core equally.
        People do usually have tons of unused threads in their computers which could drive GPU monsters when they would be utilized.

So I believe that overhead doesn't really matter for a Vulkan driver that much because when it works perfectly and utilizes all CPU cores equally then there can't be a CPU limit anymore on a modern CPU like an 8 to 32 thread CPU. Even when you split the load of 2 Threads with 100% load to 8 Threads and have 100% overhead you still have a lower usage per thread.
        So even when Vulkan had higher CPU loads in total it wouldn't mean that we must be concerned. There is nearly an infinite amount of power available, it just has to be made usable.

Comment

good to see less cpu overhead, it's the point

Comment

Gallium has come a long way since I last saw some benchmarks of Intel/gallium (can't even remember how it's called). Is it still being somewhat maintained?

Comment

f*ck these f*ckin closed source games that you cant even fix
              its been established that each app must be molded to best use vulkan whats the point of letting these game studios that prolly don't care about linux and open source product' be the trendsetter?
              theyre not, theyre a useful addition to linux triple A, but theyre not representative.
              phoronix - keep up the good work, croteam and avalanche F.U.
              Last edited by AdamOne; 21 January 2018, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Vulkan shows nice progress and a hope for a positive change in the future of the Linux Gaminng/Desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamOne View Post
                  f*ck these f*ckin closed source games that you cant even fix
                  its been established that each app must be molded to best use vulkan whats the point of letting these game studios that prolly don't care about linux and open source product' be the trendsetter?
                  theyre not, theyre a useful addition to linux triple A, but theyre not representative.
                  phoronix - keep up the good work, croteam and avalanche F.U.
                  Croteam cares about Linux and The Talos Principle is a marvel of modern game design. They also said right from the start that Serious Engine 4 wasn't designed with Vulkan in mind and thus it's a poor representation of Vulkan performance.

Comment

State of the art intel gpu's still really suck is the obvious conclusion. AMD really needs to drive this home with their ryzen systems as quickly as possible.

Comment

Working...
                    X