Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xf86-video-intel Gets Coffee Lake Support

Phoronix: xf86-video-intel Gets Coffee Lake Support

The xf86-video-intel DDX driver now has support for the first "Coffee Lake" processors...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...Lake-Intel-DDX

Does anyone use xf86-video-intel anymore? There were so many problems with it and default modesetting driver works so well with X.

Comment

does it also get an new tarball release, ever?

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
        does it also get an new tarball release, ever?
        From the article: "It's now been four years since the last stable release of xf86-video-intel and in that time working on xf86-video-intel 3.0 but even there the last development release was three years ago."
        Michael Larabel
        http://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Aleksei View Post
          Does anyone use xf86-video-intel anymore? There were so many problems with it and default modesetting driver works so well with X.
          ME altough im on broadwell if i was on skylake or newer i would use modesetting as SNA isn't tuned for skylake

Comment

I am using the modesetting driver on a Core 2 Duo (GMA X3100) notebook and on a Haswell (Iris Pro 5200) system. Don't know why I should use this crap. It has tearing problems all over the place and SNA is full of bugs.

Comment

I do on a HD 630 (Kaby Lake); with GNOME, windows seem to move smoother than with modesetting.

I've done no real testing, but I feel the Intel DDX driver is more optimal than modesetting; Xorg's log reports 4 threads being used with intel, and SNA sounds better to be using for 2D (a dedicated 2D path vs passing it over 3D). And on a slightly different note, using the blt engine instead of SNA (AccelMethod=blt), seems even smoother.

With that said though, modesetting does seem to work. But I have no problems with the Intel DDX driver either.

Comment

I used to. Now I use Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by -MacNuke- View Post
                  Don't know why I should use this crap. It has tearing problems all over the place and SNA is full of bugs.
                  Same for me. Modsetting has terrible diagonal tearing and I failed to find a solution for this. And xf86-intel has some problems with text corruption, especially with tool-tips. I'm using a Pentium G4560 (KabyLake).

Comment

Did Intel actually send out bags of "8th generation" coffee ?

Comment

Working...
                    X