Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Posts Initial Open-Source Graphics Driver Patches For Icelake "Gen 11" Hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Posts Initial Open-Source Graphics Driver Patches For Icelake "Gen 11" Hardware

Phoronix: Intel Posts Initial Open-Source Graphics Driver Patches For Icelake "Gen 11" Hardware

While Intel Cannonlake processors aren't out yet with their new "Gen 10" graphics hardware, Intel's Open-Source Technology Center has published their first graphics driver patches for Linux enablement of Icelake "Gen 10" hardware...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Gen 10 or Gen 11 ?

Comment

Originally posted by arbition View Post
      Gen 10 or Gen 11 ?
      Whoops the one reference was fixed. Cannonlake is Gen 10, Icelake is Gen 11
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

bridgman Michael who will provide the drivers for the new Intel G processors with Vega on package? AMD?

Comment

Cannonlake isn't even shipping yet and they already have patches for Icelake. Good guys @ intel, AMD/Nvidia still have a lot to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
            bridgman Michael who will provide the drivers for the new Intel G processors with Vega on package? AMD?
            Who else, Intel will for their iGPU and AMD for their dGPU

From AMD drivers POV it is just matter of support this mobile Vega dGPU, is it separate or into package with Intel CPU i guess largely it does not matter much if at all

Only maybe there is some perf advantage over separate when that is on same socket but maybe there isn't or negligible, that is yet to be seen

Last edited by dungeon; 10 January 2018, 05:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tpruzina View Post
              Cannonlake isn't even shipping yet and they already have patches for Icelake. Good guys @ intel, AMD/Nvidia still have a lot to learn.
              Hopefully they don't learn too much, lest there should be another Meltdown...

Comment

The nature of competition is different. Intel doesn't produce dedicated GPUs or GPUs in high end market. They sell their iGPUs with the CPUs anyway.
                You have to understand that if AMD would develop drivers in the "open" at such an early stage, the competitors would know how to respond to that. Especially that their direct competitors don't expose anything public so this won't work in the 'both-ways'.
                Last edited by xxmitsu; 10 January 2018, 05:06 AM.

Comment

Will Cannonlake and Ice Lake be vulnerable to Meltdown and Spectre?

Comment

Well obviously Intel could learn a thing or two from AMD.

Now understand that im a guy with a Ryzen Mobile based machine waitng for proper support in a Linux distro. So yeah AMD could be doing somethings better. On the other hand being on the bleeding edge has never been ideal for Linux users no matter where the hardware comes from. In the end while i can applaud intel a little bit for getting code in early, i can't dismiss the screw ups nor can I slag AMD for taking a slightly different path.

By the way my last computing purchase was an AMD based system that i purchased specifically because they (AMD) support open source and have gotten their act together on CPU performance. It is well worth my effort to support competition and in this case i havent been disappointed.

Comment

Working...
                    X