AMD Announces The Radeon Software Adrenalin Driver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by akfp View Post
    Is the flow-chart or venn diagram for which driver to use on which OS variant for which purpose with which tradeoffs open source?

I *think* I want to focus on packating ROCm 1.7 for OpenCL on NixOS, but I might have taken a wrong turn in the flow-chart.
    A lot is explained in this thread:

https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...m-opencl-stack

Since then, their driver changes have gone into the 4.15 kernel. So, if using that (e.g. via Ubuntu 18.04 beta or probably betas of other distros) should at least eliminate the part about having to use one of their patched kernels.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
      Since then, their driver changes have gone into the 4.15 kernel. So, if using that (e.g. via Ubuntu 18.04 beta or probably betas of other distros) should at least eliminate the part about having to use one of their patched kernels.
      Not all of the amdkfd changes made it into 4.15, so you still need to either use a patched kernel or build one from source for a bit longer if running a dGPU. If you are using an APU the upstream code might have caught up with latest ROCm libraries though, not sure but will check.

That said, once we get close to having all the changes upstream we will start trying to chase them into upcoming distro releases even if it means a bit of backporting.
      Last edited by bridgman; 12-06-2017, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        [-]
        (my reading pile is still over-filled with HW docco for upcoming chips)
        [-]
        We hear you...

Comment

I'm building most of this from source, but I'm still mostly chasing compile errors. For example
          -DAMDHSACOD=$HSA_DIR/bin/x86_64/amdhsacod from the instructions for building ROCm-Device-Libs is nowhere to be found(?).

Comment

Working...
          X