Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DVI Audio and custom resolutions on 9600 with new fglrx?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • DVI Audio and custom resolutions on 9600 with new fglrx?

    I'm trying to set up a MythTV box for a friend using a Radeon 9600 AGP card, but I'm running into a problem with two configuration points.

    First, how to configure audio out over DVI/HDMI? I understand that fglrx now supports this on many cards, but there does not seem to be anywhere in the Catalyst Control Center to configure it, nor does it appear in the list of output devices in the sound configuration panel in Ubuntu.

    Second, setting the correct output for a Sony LCD TV (1366x768) seems somewhat difficult... since xorg.conf is "no longer being used" per the previous discussions on this forum, how does one go about setting custom modes for display devices that do not report properly via EDID?

    Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide!

  • #2
    The audio controller was only added in the 6xx family (HD2xxx) and up as far as I know. Don't think there is any way to feed audio over HDMI on a 9600.

    Not sure what the recommended way to deal with bad EDID is today but will ask around.

    Comment


    • #3
      there is no audio on dvi. only hdmi and i think display port can do audio.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Porter View Post
        I'm trying to set up a MythTV box for a friend using a Radeon 9600 AGP card, but I'm running into a problem with two configuration points.

        First, how to configure audio out over DVI/HDMI? I understand that fglrx now supports this on many cards, but there does not seem to be anywhere in the Catalyst Control Center to configure it, nor does it appear in the list of output devices in the sound configuration panel in Ubuntu.

        Second, setting the correct output for a Sony LCD TV (1366x768) seems somewhat difficult... since xorg.conf is "no longer being used" per the previous discussions on this forum, how does one go about setting custom modes for display devices that do not report properly via EDID?

        Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide!
        Hi, I did some testing with custom modes, and a wrong EDID from my
        PDP503MXE.

        I didn't get it to work with the driver in RANDR12 mode.
        But I could use custom modelines bij disabaling RANDR12, and a "normal"
        xorg.conf.

        BTW looking at strings in de driver, there are some indications
        that the driver would load a "emulated" edit from a file
        /etc/ati/??????.edid.
        Until now, I didn't find a way to use this :-(

        Greetings Ren?

        Comment


        • #5
          Thanks Bridgman and Rene... good info.

          I will probably upgrade him to a newer card, but we will still have the EDID problem unless there have been changes to the EDID handling with newer cards.

          Does anyone have any further information on setting and using custom modes with the new driver configuration model?



          For reference, this Sony TV is 1366x768 native, but only reports 720p and 1080i (actually 1920x540) through EDID. Any suggestions?

          Comment


          • #6
            Force 1360x768.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Kano View Post
              Force 1360x768.
              How can I accomplish that if the driver ignores xorg.conf? Is there a proper file in the new configuration scheme to enumerate custom modes, as mentioned above?

              Comment


              • #8
                i posted that dvi does not do audio, does the dvi to hdmi adapter send the audio ?

                matt

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by mattmatteh View Post
                  i posted that dvi does not do audio, does the dvi to hdmi adapter send the audio ?

                  matt
                  DVI-D and HDMI are exactly the same, from an electrical standpoint. Only the shape of the connector is different. There are not any extra "audio" pins on an HDMI jack.

                  Bridgman solved the mystery above, though... only the HD2xx+ cards support audio over HDMI.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Help!

                    Originally posted by Porter View Post
                    How can I accomplish that if the driver ignores xorg.conf? Is there a proper file in the new configuration scheme to enumerate custom modes, as mentioned above?
                    Reposting for emphasis. Can anyone help me with this?

                    It's a bit of a deal-breaker at the moment, we'll have to buy an Nvidia card for this project if I can't get to the bottom of this.

                    There must be a method for setting custom modes in the new driver model... does anyone have any documentation on how this is accomplished?

                    Thanks,

                    Porter

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X