Radeon RX Vega 64: AMDGPU-PRO vs. DRM-Next + Mesa 17.3-dev

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
    shmerl i do mining with 6 vega-64 cards and i find them surpricely silend.
    The reference design acustically is very good.

Michael michael can qe have some sone acustic Benchmarks ?
    It's not as bad as I imagined but a 120mm at 700rpm is a hate situation for me so I put on a EK block on mine.
    So I can confirm it's not near a 7970,290x,390X despite the cooler being surprisingly similar
    Maybe the metal shroud helps with it, I was pleasantly surprised with the quality feel to it.

Originally posted by Shevchen View Post

Sadly, no chips are binned at all. Not the stock versions nor the custom ones. I've seen people who said, their watercooled card is not stable under boost-clocks, which means that no chip is safe from a bad draw in the silicon lottery. On the other hand, I've seen people buying the cheapest version of Vega 64 and getting 1700 MHz on core and 1100+ MHz on HBM2 with 0% power target.

The spread is really an issue and it doesn't help, that both the chip/core and HBM2 are both in the lottery, meaning you need to be doubly lucky in order to not get a monday-product. Thats why I'm happy with my card. While not the best, I've tweaked it to perform "okay" and are happy with the results - aka not terrible.

edit: The thing is, that I would be willing to pay a little more for binned cards - but the cost increase (you have to pre-select both the core and the HBM2) is probably not worth the small percentage of people willing to pay even more for it - because at a certain point, the cards get more expensive than the 1080 Ti. This is the red line and is probably not manageable to be created - sadly. And we 1% Linux users who MIGHT have a faster card than the 1080 Ti in certain games are not the primary customer-base for the GPU-vendors. Those are Windows gamers and miners. So yeah... bad situation for any chance of binning at all.

Then you might want to try undervolting the card. If you are happy with a rock solid 1550 MHz on the core and about 1050 MHz on the HBM2, you can downvolt you card to maybe 1030 mV and below (a lot of people can get those clocks with 1 V flat) which means a power draw of below 200 W (lets say ~170) - which can be handled by the stock cooler quite well. I've also replaced the thermal compound which gave me alone 4°C lower temps. Combined with undervolting, you could run you card at ~1200 rot/minute which is imho pretty quiet.

edit 2: I hope that the custom setting situation on Vega makes it clear, why we are in dire need of a Linux overclocking/undervolting tool that lets us set the parameters similar to the way the Radeon Software does it under Windows. Esp. as we can't BIOS-flash the cards. :-/
    When I EK blocked my vega at stock power setting it jumped more often than not up to 1655 mhz stock settings (Windows) and 1740\1100 is my limit @45C.
    I'm hoping for bios hack sometime.
    Vega 64 black edition, one of those 499 usd cards paid 450 usd (after currency exchange removal of vat and that deal as I'm in europe - it had a gtx1070 pricetag)

Comment

Also interesting would be such benchmarks for Windows games using Wine. Particularly how well AMD currently does compared to NVIDIA. It seems even Vulkan can be used for some games, e.g. for Doom.

Comment

Originally posted by airlied View Post
        Michael or someone with membership, it would be nice to see some VI/Polaris comparison, we just got Vega to the point where it can play all the games.
        I'll have some up later today or so with Polaris.
        Michael Larabel
        http://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by omgold View Post
          Also interesting would be such benchmarks for Windows games using Wine. Particularly how well AMD currently does compared to NVIDIA. It seems even Vulkan can be used for some games, e.g. for Doom.
          Not so good in my experience, wine developers use nvidia hardware and optimize it for it (from what i did read...), however with nine state tracker (for DX9) it does much better than anything you could imagine, basically on pair with windows DX9 performance, and more importantly without CPU overhead for translation.

Comment

Originally posted by oleyska View Post
            So I can confirm it's not near a 7970,290x,390X despite the cooler being surprisingly similar
            Maybe the metal shroud helps with it, I was pleasantly surprised with the quality feel to it.
            It's all about what's under the hood. Those earlier cards you mentioned didn't have vapour chamber. Pretty sure Vega is the first AMD card where the reference design uses a vapour chamber. Also, Vega has a larger surface area but draws similar amount of power which makes for more efficient heat transfer. We saw this on the Fury as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post

It's all about what's under the hood. Those earlier cards you mentioned didn't have vapour chamber. Pretty sure Vega is the first AMD card where the reference design uses a vapour chamber. Also, Vega has a larger surface area but draws similar amount of power which makes for more efficient heat transfer. We saw this on the Fury as well.
              They have vapor chambers.

Surface area sure, the Vega likes to run hotter by a lot where real gpu die temp = 100C(reported 90) whilst 290X likes to stay at 85 (reported 80)
              Vega runs 2.5K rpm whilst 290X runs 3K in my case.
              Just did a test of a bunch of gpu's to check which works and doesn't and they got sold for some friends, given away and so on and I watercooled a 7970 for one of them and used a blowtorch to separated the gpu cooler from VRM\Memory plate and that definitely exploded as I expected confimring it being a vapor chamber. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by oleyska View Post
                When I EK blocked my vega at stock power setting it jumped more often than not up to 1655 mhz stock settings (Windows) and 1740\1100 is my limit @45C.
                I'm hoping for bios hack sometime.
                Vega 64 black edition, one of those 499 usd cards paid 450 usd (after currency exchange removal of vat and that deal as I'm in europe - it had a gtx1070 pricetag)
                Nice numbers My card needs ~19% more power to get 1600+ MHz and can do 1100 on HBM2 too, but is not really stable at that - on 1060 its rock solid. As I said, not the best draw, but it manages to at least get into the regions of ~10% more performance. With 0% extra power draw getting 1700 MHz is imho already pretty golden, getting it on a 1100 MHz memory is then sealing the good card.

Comment

Originally posted by Shevchen View Post

Nice numbers My card needs ~19% more power to get 1600+ MHz and can do 1100 on HBM2 too, but is not really stable at that - on 1060 its rock solid. As I said, not the best draw, but it manages to at least get into the regions of ~10% more performance. With 0% extra power draw getting 1700 MHz is imho already pretty golden, getting it on a 1100 MHz memory is then sealing the good card.
                  I should have 16% less power leakage by temperature alone if not more thus my power target numbers doesn't need to get increased for 1655 mhz....
                  so the main problem is temperature with the cards but they are plenty fast as is though.

Comment

Originally posted by Veto View Post
                    However do anyone know what Vulkan feature Talos is using that RADV does not implement (or implement less optimally)?
                    Talos uses older engine branch (Serious Engine 4), while SS3 BFE is running Fusion update, and Serious Engine 2017, which was heavily refactored because of VR performance requirements.

Comment

Working...
                    X