ethereum mining on amd-1900X+4*AMD-VEGA-64 pro-17.30 No OpenCL platforms found

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    OK, we're getting there. I'll find out what driver stack we are recommending for ethminer - IIRC we were seeing performance drops with latest workloads and made a couple of driver changes to address them. One was use of 2MB pages (which is not in 17.30 IIRC) and another was related to memory interleaving between HBM banks... each of them made a noticeable difference. The answer might be "use the ROCm stack in the short term" but will find out.

At your convenience can you post clinfo output just in case there is something else wrong with install ?
    OK now finally the CLinfo: https://pastebin.com/uUd6qwr1

I do not buy hardware for "short term use" so i bought the vega cards because of the OS factor. But sure for my brothers money bag it would be nice to max out the reward.
    I think right now in the 17.30 time the recommened ETHminer driver stack is the old closed source one. i read many times that the ROCm stack had performance problems.
    sure it would be nice to have a driver who have 2MB pages and memory interleaving HBM banks...

I have a additional question when will the ROCm stack be mainlined into the AMDGPU+RadeonSI opensource driver and be the default for distro-installs ?
    because for a end-user it is really annoying that the 17.30 install has no OpenCL functionality and the first thought the usability end-users think about this is: is the driver broken?
    why can we not have a distro default with working OpenCL ? why is Clover OpenCL the distro default if it just does not work?
    Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Initial feedback is that latest ROCm (1.6.3) has the performance fixes, but there will be a 17.40 release soon which also includes them. We are trying to arrange an early release of 17.40 which should be what you need.

If you check airlied's drm-next branch you will see kfd commits starting to show up frequently; IIRC that goes into 4.15. We're going to try to also get that backported to upcoming LTS and enterprise distro releases.

I don't know why compute/OpenCL was left as optional but am asking around. Not sure we will be able to change that quickly but if not then at least I want to see us get a big message at the top of the install instructions noting that OpenCL/compute is not installed by default but that instructions are further down the page.

Comment

Initial feedback is that latest ROCm (1.6.3) has the performance fixes, but there will be a 17.40 release soon which also includes them. We are trying to arrange an early release of 17.40 which should be what you need.

If you check airlied's drm-next branch you will see kfd commits starting to show up frequently; IIRC that goes into 4.15. We're going to try to also get that backported to upcoming LTS and enterprise distro releases.

I don't know why compute/OpenCL was left as optional but am asking around. Not sure we will be able to change that quickly but if not then at least I want to see us get a big message at the top of the install instructions noting that OpenCL/compute is not installed by default but that instructions are further down the page.
        Yes if not installed by default the installer should show up a message that there is an optional openCL part...

Right now it is just a usability problem.

Can we have a installer for the OpenCL part for the OpenSource RadeonSI driver ? also for older hardware users the closed-source openCL for the open-stack.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
          Can we have a installer for the OpenCL part for the OpenSource RadeonSI driver ? also for older hardware users the closed-source openCL for the open-stack.
          The OpenCL component is independent from the radeonsi component (I can't type "driver" any more because the 'v' key stopped working after a water spill) but if you mean "install openCL and use it alongside radeonsi" then yes we are working on that.

It will be packaged and tested with the DKMS/KCL kernel driver (copied & pasted that last word) rather than upstream but we are also trying to support newer kernel/X releases so should work OK. That won't be in 17.40 though...

Comment

The OpenCL component is independent from the radeonsi component (I can't type "driver" any more because the 'v' key stopped working after a water spill) but if you mean "install openCL and use it alongside radeonsi" then yes we are working on that.

It will be packaged and tested with the DKMS/KCL kernel driver (copied & pasted that last word) rather than upstream but we are also trying to support newer kernel/X releases so should work OK. That won't be in 17.40 though...
            yes very good this "but if you mean "install openCL and use it alongside radeonsi" then yes we are working on that." sounds good.

because no one should use amdgpu-pro opengl for desktop use because i only need 2 minutes with random clicking arround to make a segmentation fault crash.. by just click the KDE info center and then in the infocenter clicking on the OpenGL info...

you see the AMDGPU-PRO Driver 17.30 is (Irony)a Quality driver without bugs(/irony)

Comment

you see the AMDGPU-PRO Driver 17.30 is (Irony)a Quality driver without bugs(/irony)
              Your photo proves how buggy kde is. No one takes miners seriously except PC hardware retailers. That is why your mining software is not working.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                Your photo proves how buggy kde is. No one takes miners seriously except PC hardware retailers. That is why your mining software is not working.
                If i use RadeonSI the KDE info center is not crashing!!!

the mining software is working!!!

.... the reality is the complete opposite of your statement so i think the people can not take you seriously!!!

Comment

If i use RadeonSI the KDE info center is not crashing!!!

the mining software is working!!!

.... the reality is the complete opposite of your statement so i think the people can not take you seriously!!!
                  ^ this

The reality is Enthusiast gaming GPU market was in a massive decline until about 2011-12, when GPU mining became a "thing." I would not be surprised if >50% of all descrete GPU purchases today are mining related.

The companies that choose to not take "miners seriously" are going to be in the losing end of history. Just look at what happened a month ago, I'm sure AMD lost a boatload of sales to Nvidia due to the memory fragmentation issue in their driver that was causing ethereum DAG to be paged to system memory past a certain size causing a performance impact. They were forced to finally correct this with the "Blockchain Driver Update" otherwise they would have continued to lose sales.

Comment

Originally posted by jstefanop View Post
                    The companies that choose to not take "miners seriously" are going to be in the losing end of history.
                    yes you are right i think the same.... even a very small competitor with only 100%-open-Source-gpu with only support for vulkan+OpenCL without openGL and DirectX would have a chance if they focus on mining first and desktop and gaming later,.

the days of GPU-monopolys with walled garden and closed source only DirectX11/12 are over thanks to the "mining" people.

Comment

Working...
                    X