Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black screen issues with R9 390

Hello everyone, I'm new here

I choose to write to this forum because I'm experiencing a lot of issues with an AMD GPU and the linux drivers: in following this website for a while, I reached the conclusion that you people are the best in the business when it comes to experience in the two parts of the problem, so I really hope you can manage to give me a helping hand here.

Now to get to my problem: this is the configuration of the concerned PC:
    • MSI Z170A GAMING M5 Intel Z170A
    • Intel i5-6500 Skylake CPU @ 3.20GHz
    • 2X Corsair CMK16GX4M2A2133C13 Vengeance
    • MSI R9 390 OC 8GB GDDR5 Twin Frozr
    • Western Digital HDD 1TB WD Blue Desktop

I experience very frequent black screens, with the PC going totally unresponsive. They happen invariably when I start a GPU-intensive application (the most common I use is FlightGear), but they occur also randomly when I'm not stressing the GPU at all.

I have tested different ubuntu distributions on this PC. Currently, I run on a 17.04 distro (just because it the one that I tested last).
    I've tried with both the radeon and the amdgpu drivers. To enable the latter, I've installed kernel 4.13.3 and appended radeon.si_support=0 radeon.cik_support=0 amdgpu.si_support=1 amdgpu.cik_support=1 in the kernel boot command line. What is even more strange is that neither the log of the kernel nor the one of FlightGear shows any errors.

The amdgpu driver is particularly unstable, while the radeon driver normally allows me to at least get into the DE, past gdm, but when I start FlightGear, I always get a black screen and an unresponsive PC. Sometimes (but not always) the fans of the R9 go on an off and the card seems to emit a lot of heat.

Worring that it might be an hardware issue, I've tested the GPU on this other machine, which runs on a dual boot Windows 7/Fedora 26
    • Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP4 TH Intel Z77 Express Chipset
    • Intel i5-3570 CPU @ 3.40GHz
    • DDR3 G.Skill Ares F3-1600C9Q-16GAO 16GB

also in this case, in Fedora, I've installed kernel 4.13.3 and tested both the amdgpu and radeon drivers. The results are, if possible, even worse (never managed to even get past gdm). In Windows, though, with the latest proprietary drivers, everything is fine and the card behaves smoothly. So I don't think it's a hardware issue.

Is there anything else I can try? I have yet to test the amdgpu-pro proprietary driver: it will bother me for many different reasons to have to resort to it...

I seem to remember that there were some early issues with some AMD GPUs under linux drivers when switching power states: could that be the issue? Sometimes is the PC goes into sleep, it is then impossible to wake up. Is there a way of locking the power state of the GPU, or manually controlling it, just for debug purposes? I know that it would not be a very efficient (or safe) thing to do in normal operation, but just to pinpoint the problem I would give it a try.

Immense thanks to anyone of you that will take the time to try to help me.
    Cheers

I'm new and inexperienced... Or, if you prefer, dumb! I posted in the wrong section.
    Sorry about that, I hope that the thread can be moved to Open Source AMD Linux.

Comment

Do not use mainline kernels, the have partially implemented amdgpu and radeon drivers, see the diff column at kernel.org and compare to the following kernel. Use this:https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/...-next-4.15-wip

Use Oibaf ppa Mesa, zesty version with Debian testing Xfce. See the second message for more information: https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...in-living-room
      You need to enable CIK or SI support in the kernel config for the amdgpu driver. By default those are disabled in distro kernels. R9 390 belongs to the Sea Islands family so you need to enable CIK support.
      https://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature/
      Amd, where is my salary?
      Last edited by debianxfce; 09-22-2017, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Hi debianxfce and thank you for the help.

I'll test the kernel and Mesa that you suggest. It would be difficult for me for this particular machine to switch to Debian testing, though, because it is a lab PC and by (albeit, non written) "policy" they all run Ubuntu. The other PC that I've mentioned is a separate machine that does not belong to this lab.

I'm curious though: why Debian testing Xfce, specifically? You mention in the thread that you have linked that it is for having the latest possible versions of all the packages involved, and that explains the "testing" part, but why Xfce and not GNOME or Lxde (which is what we are using right now) or whatever other DE out there? Also, for the "lastest of everything" part, I didn't mention it in the first post but I've tested on Fedora Rawhide, which I think is pretty much as on the cutting edge as you can get.

I did enable the CIK and SI support in the kernel config, though. I mentioned it in the opening post.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by cattivik View Post

I did enable the CIK and SI support in the kernel config, though. I mentioned it in the opening post.
          The kernel command line is not same as the kernel config. You can configure the kernel before compiling it. You do nothing with the amdgpu SI support when your gpu needs CIK support. You can remove the radeon driver when configuring the kernel too.
          Last edited by debianxfce; 09-23-2017, 02:52 AM.

Comment

Ah, yes. Sorry, I had misread your previous message.

Comment

Unfortunately, the solution that you proposed, debianxfce did not work for me. I still got black screens as soon as I got past lightdm.

However, what it worked (the only thing that worked as of now) for me was this:
              • disable the amgpu driver withand revert to the radeon driver with amdgpu.cik_support=0 radeon.cik_support=1 on the kernel command line
              • use the DPM query service by Thomas Debesse to manually set the DPM state and level (since this is a lab PC that has the only purpose of running FlightGear, the card is now locked in the "high" level and the "performance" state profile)

I've found that the R9 390 has one of the most unfortunate situations with the support of AMD severely lagging behind other cards, as this thread and this bug report suggest.

Thanks for the support anyway.

Cheers

Comment

People are using the amdgpu driver with minor problems in the thread above.

Comment

What can I say? Lucky them!

For me, the only way to even have an usable system has been the one I've described...

Comment

Unfortunately, the solution that you proposed, debianxfce did not work for me. I still got black screens as soon as I got past lightdm.

However, what it worked (the only thing that worked as of now) for me was this:
                    • disable the amgpu driver withand revert to the radeon driver with amdgpu.cik_support=0 radeon.cik_support=1 on the kernel command line
                    • use the DPM query service by Thomas Debesse to manually set the DPM state and level (since this is a lab PC that has the only purpose of running FlightGear, the card is now locked in the "high" level and the "performance" state profile)

I've found that the R9 390 has one of the most unfortunate situations with the support of AMD severely lagging behind other cards, as this thread and this bug report suggest.

Thanks for the support anyway.

Cheers
                    I successfully booted the vega setup on mesa 17.3 oibaf ppa ubuntu 17.04 x kernel drm-next-4.15-dc and m-bab 4.12+ - out of the box worked with a 390.
                    Same with HD6950, 7970, 290X.
                    I only tested the 3 of em for 5 hours but no issues.

the support of the 390 didn't seem different from the others, the only thing is that there is a bunch of things that is so close to release for these graphics cards but still not mainlined.

FYI, I only tested a box of cards for hardware functionality not driver and they are now returned so I cannot test further with those.
                    Personally I run a vega64.

Last edited by oleyska; 10-04-2017, 07:52 AM. Reason: Specifying what I personally run, and that further testing is not possible from my side.

Comment

Working...
                    X