Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valve Is Working With AMD On VR Support In AMDGPU-PRO

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Valve Is Working With AMD On VR Support In AMDGPU-PRO

    Phoronix: Valve Is Working With AMD On VR Support In AMDGPU-PRO

    Right now if you want to make use of SteamVR on Linux with Radeon GPUs, you need to use a patched version of the RADV driver. The RADV Vulkan bits for SteamVR are still working their way to mainline while the AMDGPU-PRO hybrid driver doesn't yet support SteamVR's required Vulkan extensions, but the support is being worked on...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...U-PRO-VR-Linux

  • #2
    Good to hear. It is after all easily the fastest vulkan driver available for AMD GPUs.

    because it's not open source (yet) many in the linux community will not acknowledge the good performance tuning work AMD devs have put into this vulkan driver.

    I wish it supported modern kernels and distros though.

    Comment


    • #3
      I expected to see some new special amdgpu-pro build for SteamOS 2.118 they pushed 2 days ago, but probably it is only internal work still

      Maybe for SteamOS 3 it would be.
      Last edited by dungeon; 06-16-2017, 10:23 AM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Interesting, why not in radeonsi mesa's driver?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by blacknova View Post
          Interesting, why not in radeonsi mesa's driver?
          SteamVR on Linux only uses Vulkan. RadeonSI is OpenGL driver.
          Michael Larabel
          http://www.michaellarabel.com/

          Comment


          • #6
            Maybe people remember rethoric before Vulkan get name that was OpenGL Next actually So might be people think as RadeonSI also have Next there also

            Vulkan is entire separate API, that might not be clear to somebody as people live in a world of bloat and nature of bloated world is not at all easy to understand

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by humbug View Post
              I wish it supported modern kernels and distros though.
              Seems to work fine on mainline 4.12-rc5 + drm-next-4.13-wip.

              Unfortunately you have to use their still closed source libdrm fork.

              This PKGBUILD for archlinux is doing it in a funny way https://github.com/libcg/archlinux-a...ster/PKGBUILD: They rename libdrm_amdgpu.so.1.0.0 to libdrm_amdgpo.so.1.0.0 and then binary patch amdgpu-pro's opencl and vulkan drivers to use the new name, so you can have both in /usr/lib/ and everything works as expected.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                I expected to see some new special amdgpu-pro build for SteamOS 2.118 they pushed 2 days ago, but probably it is only internal work still

                Maybe for SteamOS 3 it would be.
                Valve just switched away from amdgpu-pro on steamOS, they now use Mesa drivers for AMD. They've invested a lot into Mesa, don't expect them to go back now that they have moved.

                They still want things to work properly on the proprietary driver though, as this article makes clear. Valve knows that this Vulkan driver will be open sourced and come back to them in some form... For now though as far as AMD gamers are concerned Vulkan performance is the only reason to use the proprietary driver over Mesa.
                Last edited by humbug; 06-16-2017, 11:37 AM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by haagch View Post
                  Seems to work fine on mainline 4.12-rc5 + drm-next-4.13-wip.

                  Unfortunately you have to use their still closed source libdrm fork.

                  This PKGBUILD for archlinux is doing it in a funny way https://github.com/libcg/archlinux-a...ster/PKGBUILD: They rename libdrm_amdgpu.so.1.0.0 to libdrm_amdgpo.so.1.0.0 and then binary patch amdgpu-pro's opencl and vulkan drivers to use the new name, so you can have both in /usr/lib/ and everything works as expected.
                  The source the hybrid kernel and libdrm are available:
                  https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/...master20170517
                  https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/...ne-hybrid-4.11

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by humbug View Post

                    Valve just switched away from amdgpu-pro on steamOS, they now use Mesa drivers for AMD. They've invested a lot into Mesa, don't expect them to go back now that they have moved.

                    They still want things to work properly on the proprietary driver though, as this article makes clear. Valve knows that this Vulkan driver will be open sourced and come back to them in some form... For now though as far as AMD gamers are concerned Vulkan performance is the only reason to use the proprietary driver over Mesa.
                    SteamOS just "switched drivers" on that point when they upgrade kernel to 4.11, that does not mean they "switched away" from AMDGPU-PRO just that PRO does not build on that new kernel

                    If all 3 GPU vendors are supportable under same new kernel, they would keep PRO believe me Thing is as always on Linux, one kernel hardly works the best on all hardware, nature of Linux you know And then even distros are marked crazy, but not a drivers for some reason
                    Last edited by dungeon; 06-16-2017, 12:03 PM.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X