Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying AMDGPU-PRO 17.10 On Ubuntu 17.04

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #41
    Originally posted by devius View Post

    Because they used code, tools and/or information provided by other companies that do not want to have those parts open sourced?
    Curiously, what other companies would have their hands on AMD IP that isn't already part of AMD?

    Comment


    • #42
      Originally posted by computerquip View Post
      Curiously, what other companies would have their hands on AMD IP that isn't already part of AMD?
      Devius is saying the opposite of you - talking about non-AMD IP that has been licensed to AMD for specific purposes which do not include open source Linux drivers.

      Comment


      • #43
        Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
        many words
        You took my "free as in beer" statement about proprietary Unix vs Linux, generalized it into FLOSS, then started talking about the "free as in freedom" aspect of FLOSS - the part I was *not* talking about.

        Anyways, I'm on vacation for the next 9 days so have fun...

        Comment


        • #44
          Originally posted by bridgman View Post

          You took my "free as in beer" statement about proprietary Unix vs Linux, generalized it into FLOSS, then started talking about the "free as in freedom" aspect of FLOSS - the part I was *not* talking about.

          Anyways, I'm on vacation for the next 9 days so have fun...
          Except the free as in beer concept is nonsense and always has been. Almost nobody even thinks about it like that because it was a logical fallacy in the first place. You shouldn't think of open source as "non-monetary" or something like that, because it's wrong. Always has been. Trying to force that logical fallacy onto people is wrong.

          It's obvious Q did what any good linux user should do, disassociate open source software from "free of charge" and associate it with freedom instead.

          IMO, Redhat proved it years ago. Just look at their development and deployment models, and then try to tell me about free as in beer.... They did pretty good. I may not agree with all the projects they choose to fund, but they do it right.
          Last edited by duby229; 04-18-2017, 08:44 AM.

          Comment


          • #45
            Originally posted by bridgman View Post

            You took my "free as in beer" statement about proprietary Unix vs Linux, generalized it into FLOSS, then started talking about the "free as in freedom" aspect of FLOSS - the part I was *not* talking about.

            Anyways, I'm on vacation for the next 9 days so have fun...
            You just show that you do not get my point. and other users like duby229 see it to.
            Future History will prove you wrong. Because outdated closed source software who only run with special closed drivers do not have a future.
            Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

            Comment


            • #46
              Originally posted by duby229 View Post
              IMO, Redhat proved it years ago. Just look at their development and deployment models, and then try to tell me about free as in beer.... They did pretty good. I may not agree with all the projects they choose to fund, but they do it right.
              Poor gnome3, pulseaudio, networkmanager and systemd users. What a bad design software they use. Their software is never ready, is unstable, takes unnecessary hardware resources and is slow.

              Comment


              • #47
                Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

                Poor gnome3, pulseaudio, networkmanager and systemd users. What a bad design software they use. Their software is never ready, is unstable, takes unnecessary hardware resources and is slow.
                Normally don't respond to low hanging fruit but really dude? Citation needed. I use systemd on both my server and my personal PCs. I use pulseaudio, gnome3, and networkmanager on a daily basis on my PCs without issues. networkmanager even manages any VPNs or proxies I use and I can automatically switch between network connections. Rarely do I have an issue with any of them.

                Can't say much about performance though since I have a PC from this decade fortunately.

                Comment


                • #48
                  Originally posted by computerquip View Post

                  Normally don't respond to low hanging fruit but really dude? Citation needed. I use systemd on both my server and my personal PCs. I use pulseaudio, gnome3, and networkmanager on a daily basis on my PCs without issues. networkmanager even manages any VPNs or proxies I use and I can automatically switch between network connections. Rarely do I have an issue with any of them.

                  Can't say much about performance though since I have a PC from this decade fortunately.
                  Just play some games pulseaudio, wait to loose your network connection, create a launcher to gnome3 desktop and type systemd-analyze time/blame. Puiseaudio uses several % of cpu time and many games simply hang with it, the networkmanager ui does rely on notifications from driver level when it should work other way, many gnome3 users are tweaking the desktop to look like Xfce and test runit with voidlinux to see how useless systemd is.

                  Comment


                  • #49
                    Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

                    Just play some games pulseaudio, wait to loose your network connection, create a launcher to gnome3 desktop and type systemd-analyze time/blame. Puiseaudio uses several % of cpu time and many games simply hang with it, the networkmanager ui does rely on notifications from driver level when it should work other way, many gnome3 users are tweaking the desktop to look like Xfce and test runit with voidlinux to see how useless systemd is.
                    Dude, you act like people don't do any of this on a daily basis.

                    * I've not had issues with PulseAudio in literally over a decade now. I doubt you can find any metric where PulseAudio is the cause of poor performance now adays.
                    * Show me the code where NetworkManager incorrectly handles events. I'll fix it and send a patch.
                    * Wow, you mean people have preference in what their desktop looks like? You don't say.
                    * Why the fuck would I care about what runit does when systemd has fixed any problem I've had with a init system since 2003 and does everything I want?

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X