Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.1 doesn't like Radeon R9 270/370 OEM

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.1 doesn't like Radeon R9 270/370 OEM

I was stupid enough to upgrade a perfectly working Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.3 installation to 18.1. After that, of my two screens only one worked - and that without hardware acceleration, in software rendering mode. The display app thought it was dealing with a laptop screen and could not detect the display hardware. Apparently I have an Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Curacao PRO [Radeon R7 370 / R9 270/370 OEM] card with a X.Org 1.18.4 server on a Quad core Intel Core i7-4790 CPU. I went to the AMD website and downloaded the appropriate Catalyst driver. Halfway through the installation it failed because of a conflict with the Linux kernel version. Now I am considering going back to 17.3. Any advice?

You can use the open source driver. If you want the latest, fasted and bug free drivers, see:
    https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...n-living-room
    Last edited by debianxfce; 02-17-2017, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Stop suggesting your nonsense! Thanks god you are too stupid for writing valid links.

Comment

Originally posted by papaworx View Post
        I was stupid enough to upgrade a perfectly working Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.3 installation to 18.1. After that, of my two screens only one worked - and that without hardware acceleration, in software rendering mode. The display app thought it was dealing with a laptop screen and could not detect the display hardware. Apparently I have an Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Curacao PRO [Radeon R7 370 / R9 270/370 OEM] card with a X.Org 1.18.4 server on a Quad core Intel Core i7-4790 CPU. I went to the AMD website and downloaded the appropriate Catalyst driver. Halfway through the installation it failed because of a conflict with the Linux kernel version. Now I am considering going back to 17.3. Any advice?
        Mint 18.1 still has the 4.4 kernel IIRC, so shouldn't be problems with the built in drivers. Can you pastebin the dmesg output and post a link here ?

If you really mean Catalyst (which is being replaced with amdgpu-pro) the 4.4 kernel probably is too new. Make sure you fully uninstall since a partial installation will usually break the drivers that came with the distro image.

Comment

Working...
        X