Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost with drivers

Hi,
    I would like to buy a nice new RX480 but I'm completely lost with AMD drivers, kernel, Xorg versions, and whatever.
    I need some help.
    I'm not using ubuntu nor Fedora, I have mageia 5, that uses RPM format (but Fedora packages are usually not compatible).
    At the moment, I have a Radeon HD 5850 and I use the AMD driver fglrx version 15.302
    The kernel version is 4.4.39 and Xorg 1.16.4-2.1 and I play at CS:GO, Xcom 2, pillars of eternity, etc...
    I understood that for the RX480 I would need the AMD-GPUPRO driver, but it requires a newer kernel version (4.8 ?) and I don't see on AMD site any package I could install.
    My PC has a dual boot with windows 7, just to be able to play some more games on windows. So I have the alternative to play my game on windows and use linux for "regular use" only, without 3D acceleration.
    I don't know much about the open source driver, will it run with the RX480 ?
    If none of these drivers work, does it mean that I couldn't run linux in graphic mode ?
    The next version of Mageia (6) will have kernel 4.8, Xorg 1.19.0. I don't know when it will be available and if it will include AMD-GPU pro driver.
    Thanks a lot for help !

Interesting... a quick spin through the docco suggests that Mageia focuses more on including NVidia proprietary drivers than on aggressively updating open source drivers. Also no indication of them pulling in AMD proprietary/hybrid drivers either.

The open source drivers are included in the distro package and normally distro vendors will pull in the latest (within reason) open source gfx driver code before finalizing each release. I don't see any indication that is done with Mageia, so for the moment we need to assume you will only get the gfx drivers built into stock 4.8 and 1.19 kernel/xorg releases.

All that said, I did see indications that Mageia provides packages for newer versions of Mesa and (probably) other components via the "Cauldron". They also appear to provide pre-release access to builds of upcoming releases; my guess is that a pre-release version of Mageia 6 would be most likely to give you the HW support you need without requiring a lot of fiddling (ie pulling in newer component packages).

The Mageia forum seems fairly active - might be worth posting there asking for recommendations re: easiest way to get a Mageia install with reasonably recent amdgpu open source drivers. The answer will probably be "install 6 from <location> then update these <packages> by doing <this>".

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      The Mageia forum seems fairly active - might be worth posting there asking for recommendations re: easiest way to get a Mageia install with reasonably recent amdgpu open source drivers. The answer will probably be "install 6 from <location> then update these <packages> by doing <this>".
      Thanks for the explanations about the open source driver.
      I will follow your recommendations and check with my distrib maintainers.
      Regards

Comment

Working...
      X