No announcement yet.

Is My R9 290 as Bad As I'm Thinking?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I understand that Catalyst sucks. I just don't know why my card seems to suck more. In these benchmarks http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...t141beta&num=2 with even older versions of Catalyst the 290 is performing much better. Could the CPU be making that much of a difference?

Comment

Originally posted by ZombieNo7 View Post
      I understand that Catalyst sucks. I just don't know why my card seems to suck more. In these benchmarks http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...t141beta&num=2 with even older versions of Catalyst the 290 is performing much better. Could the CPU be making that much of a difference?
      One is to benchmark your CPU and find out. Start benching at stock then underclock and then overclock. Compare the results. If that's inconclusive then try different CPUs with different stock clocks.

Comment

Ok I just reran the tests with the CPU downclocked to 3.6GHz(from 4.6GHz), and got the exact same results. I have absolutely no idea what's going on now. The only thing that I can think of is my card is dying. Does it sound that way?

Comment

I don't know. I haven't seen the card so I can't say. There is a bottleneck there somewhere though. I can be tough bisecting git trees to find exactly which patches introduce regressions. But since this is Catalyst.... well I'm not sure what to say.

Maybe you would be happier with the OSS drivers. It's worth a shot.

Comment

I doubt it is Catalyst though. The benches on this site show the R9 290 performing better under Catalyst. I may give the OSS drivers a shot to see if there is a Catalyst issue, but I need more performance than that out of the card.

Comment

I doubt that you will see so many R9 290 benchmarks using AMD CPUs out there...

Comment

I've seen plenty of Windows ones, and they are all MUCH higher than what I'm seeing. I even pulled up the original Phoronix benchmark of the R9 290, and it showed 51.7 FPS average for Heaven and 57.8 FPS average for Valley. That review was done with a 4770k, so it's not that far off from an 8370. That was also 2 1/2 years ago with a worse Catalyst driver.

Comment

Well if you compare Cinebench single there is a huge difference (about 40%), but most likely early adopters will sell s1150 systems soon, should be a nice upgrade to AMD systems. They use the same ram, so DDR3 will be available 2nd hand much more in the future.
                  Last edited by Kano; 07-14-2015, 04:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X