Is My R9 290 as Bad As I'm Thinking?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is My R9 290 as Bad As I'm Thinking?

I just switched to the 15.7 drivers, and, while they are an improvement, I'm still seeing some numbers that seem too low when benchmarking. My system consists of an FX 8370 on a Gigabyte ga-970a-ud3p with 16GB DDR3 1866MHz. I'm running Debian 8.1 with Kernel 3.16. The first set of tests got me an average FPS of 33.9 and a score of 845 in Unigine Heaven and an average FPS of 41.3 and a score of 1729 in Unigine Valley. I ran several tests, and they all came out about the same. Thinking that throttling could be the issue, I took apart the card and applied new thermal paste. I ran the tests again and got an average FPS of 36.8 and a score of 927 in Heaven and an average of 47.6 FPS and a score of 1992 in valley. I tested Metro Last Light via the benchmarking utility and got an average of 22FPS. I know that the 290, and AMD in general, is not the best for Linux, but it just seems like the card should be performing better. Am I way off, or is there something wrong?

First what came to my mind is to set CPU governor to performance

https://wiki.debian.org/HowTo/CpuFrequencyScaling

Always, via command line, some DEs panels, etc. have plugins for that... basically you shoud always set it to performance while benchmarking or gaming.
    Last edited by dungeon; 07-10-2015, 01:04 AM.

Comment

Typical AMD CPU problem... But your are right using performance governor or even OC can help in CPU limited scenarios.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
        Typical AMD CPU problem... But your are right using performance governor or even OC can help in CPU limited scenarios.
        It is not typical AMD CPU problem, PPC64 CPUs for example have same problem with CPU scaling gaming performance... ask Amiga community who run Linux on that hardware basically all hardware which use CPU_FREQ behave the same
        Last edited by dungeon; 07-10-2015, 03:44 AM.

Comment

Typical AMD user...

Comment

Typical AMD user...
            No, typical non Intel user and non nVidia if you like that together

What is your answer when someone have AMD CPU and/or AMD GPU? Buy Intel, buy nVidia
            Last edited by dungeon; 07-10-2015, 04:07 AM.

Comment

Intel CPUs are definitly much faster for games, the performance/core is not really amazing with AMD CPUs. Why did AMD introduce Mantle? Think about it...

Comment

Intel CPUs are definitly much faster for games, the performance/core is not really amazing with AMD CPUs. Why did AMD introduce Mantle? Think about it...
                What i have to think about there... CPU bound, GPU bound and memory bandwidth bound... are historically always staying problems for all companies and all companies tries to save it with various tricks and tehniquies, algorithms, compresions, etc...

In the and it isn't neither much about CPUs neither about GPUs, but about memory and what is in it... PCs are nothing without memory
                Last edited by dungeon; 07-10-2015, 04:24 AM.

Comment

Ok I have been trying to get cpufreq to work(shich was a whole other set of problems), but I finally got it working right, and set it to performance(temporarily) with "cpufreq-set -g performance". I ran Heaven again, and got the exact same results. Am I doing something wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by ZombieNo7 View Post
                    Ok I have been trying to get cpufreq to work(shich was a whole other set of problems), but I finally got it working right, and set it to performance(temporarily) with "cpufreq-set -g performance". I ran Heaven again, and got the exact same results. Am I doing something wrong?
                    No You're not doing anything wrong, it's just that Catalyst performance sucks. For example on linux the OSS drivers give a waaaay better desktop experience. And then the OpenGL driver is horribly slow in both Windows and Linux. On windows most games have the option to run on DX but that's not an option on linux. So what it comes down to is on linux if you use Catalyst then you're stuck with a terrible desktop experience and slow OpenGL.

Honestly, in almost every possible way the OSS drivers for that same hardware is better. OpenGL performance is still pretty slow though, but much less glitchy.

Comment

Working...
                    X