Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD's Carrizo Launches: New Laptops In The Weeks Ahead

Phoronix: AMD's Carrizo Launches: New Laptops In The Weeks Ahead

AMD launched Carrizo today from Computex Taipei and with the rollout they've unveiled the rest of the details on the new A-Series APU design...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...Carrizo-Launch

I am happy to hear that laptops will be available this summer. I was a little shocked by the rumors saying it would take until September.
    Michael, will you write about the experience with both driver stacks? (even though as a OSS nerd I care mostly about the all-open stack)
    Last edited by CrystalGamma; 06-03-2015, 10:44 AM.

Comment

One can hope for Coreboot support...

Comment

Any word on a desktop upgrade? I built a very inexpensive entry level gaming RIG for my son using a Kaveri AMD APU and it works incredibly well for the money. I would love to upgrade his machine to a newer AMD APU, especially if they keep mobo compatibility.

Looks like it won't happen for Carrizo, but maybe for Carrizo+1?
        http://wccftech.com/amd-carrizo-apu-...ity-platforms/

Comment

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
          Any word on a desktop upgrade? I built a very inexpensive entry level gaming RIG for my son using a Kaveri AMD APU and it works incredibly well for the money. I would love to upgrade his machine to a newer AMD APU, especially if they keep mobo compatibility.

Looks like it won't happen for Carrizo, but maybe for Carrizo+1?
          http://wccftech.com/amd-carrizo-apu-...ity-platforms/
          If it will ever happen i don't expect it anytime soon. Godavari was released recently and is - like all the APUs before - hard to order without significant extra $ for several month.

Comment

Embed Carrizo in a Mini-ITX motherboard, please! Make it a low-profile heatsink designed for 1U rackmount server! DC in!

Now that would be the best motherboard I would ever get with full HSA 1.0 support.

But then I don't see MythTV taking advantage of it, especially for transcoding recorded TV shows. Heh, I don't know if ASRock QC5000-ITX (almost out of stock in Amazon) with embedded APU can handle transcoding with MythTV.

Comment

What fabrication process is this using, how many nm?

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
                What fabrication process is this using, how many nm?
                28 nm

Last edited by dungeon; 06-04-2015, 04:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
                  You'd need a new socket for this APU. That's why they solder it directly onto the mainboard. The next replacable APU/CPU will be Zen.

Comment

BTW it wasn't just an arbitrary decision to change sockets - Carrizo includes the southbridge/FCH on die (like Kabini/Mullins/Beema) so the signals coming out of the chip are non-trivially different from KV. This is also what allowed socket compatibility between Carrizo and Carrizo-L.

Comment

Working...
                    X