No announcement yet.

Fedora 9 and ATI

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was pretty sure the radeon (xf86-video-ati) driver in F9 had full acceleration support for everything up to 5xx and RS690, including XAA, EXA, Textured Video and 3D. You'll need to pull the latest upgrades to get full 5xx though.

If anyone is seeing worse behaviour on F9 than F8 for ATI graphics please sing out with some details either here or (even better) the normal Fedora channels. I know airlied worked hard to get the 5xx 3D into Fedora and I'm *pretty* sure it was into F9 via post-release updates, not 100% sure though.

6xx acceleration should start to show up soon but is not in any driver today (other than shadowFB). We have released the instruction set info for the shader core already ( http://www.x.org/docs/AMD/ - r600isa.pdf) and are trying to get the remaining register & setup info out the door now.
    Last edited by bridgman; 06-19-2008, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      I was pretty sure the radeon (xf86-video-ati) driver in F9 had full acceleration support for everything up to 5xx and RS690, including XAA, EXA, Textured Video and 3D. You'll need to pull the latest upgrades to get full 5xx though.

You may misunderstood my minds, I mean it so difficult to install a perfect video driver for my X1400 Mobility~~

so I have to use the default driver,readon, I cannot spek highly of it... Do you have a better way to solve this problem ? Thanks...

Comment

Not sure I understand what you mean by "perfect driver" -- are you talking open source or proprietary ? Today the radeon driver (supposedly the one in the latest F9 upgrades) has complete support for the 5xx parts.

Not sure if the 3D drivers include the IDs for your specific chip, but that is just a question of what equipment the developers have on hand for testing.

What problems are you having with the radeon driver, and which driver are you trying to install in its place ?

Comment

Not sure I understand what you mean by "perfect driver" -- are you talking open source or proprietary ? Today the radeon driver (supposedly the one in the latest F9 upgrades) has complete support for the 5xx parts.

Not sure if the 3D drivers include the IDs for your specific chip, but that is just a question of what equipment the developers have on hand for testing.

What problems are you having with the radeon driver, and which driver are you trying to install in its place ?

The result is simple... X server crashed after I installed AMD official ATI 8.6 driver. The driver is downloaded from ati.amd.com .

I basically followed the common steps to install it, and it seemed to be installed, but actually it failed. When I reboot my laptop, X server
          crashed. So I have to uninstall what I just installed~~

That is the case. Do you have any advices?

Comment

Catalyst 8.6 does not support Fedora 9 as far as I know.

The radeon driver (a different, open source driver) is included with the Fedora 9 distribution. Have you tried running the radeon driver at all ?

Again, radeon is *not* the same as Catalyst (aka fglrx). Radeon is an open source driver, also known as xf86-video-ati. For a full 3d stack you need :

- radeon or radeonhd (xf86-video-radeonhd)
            - kernel driver (mesa/drm)
            - 3d driver (mesa/mesa)

If you fully uninstall the 8.6 Catalyst driver then re-install the radeon/drm/mesa driver which shipped with Fedora 9 you should run fine, although you will need the latest updates for full 3D.

Comment

Catalyst 8.6 does not support Fedora 9 as far as I know.

The radeon driver (a different, open source driver) is included with the Fedora 9 distribution. Have you tried running the radeon driver at all ?

Again, radeon is *not* the same as Catalyst (aka fglrx). Radeon is an open source driver, also known as xf86-video-ati. For a full 3d stack you need :

- radeon or radeonhd (xf86-video-radeonhd)
              - kernel driver (mesa/drm)
              - 3d driver (mesa/mesa)

If you fully uninstall the 8.6 Catalyst driver then re-install the radeon/drm/mesa driver which shipped with Fedora 9 you should run fine, although you will need the latest updates for full 3D.

Thank you. Do you mean the latest version of readon driver support FC9's
              gnome 3D desktop effect and hardware acceleration? I am a greener in this aspect indeed~

Comment

By the way, you can use the binary fglrx driver on Fedora 9 with enabled 3D accel when you downgrade your X Server, there's a guide on the Fedora forums about that.
                depending on the kernel, you may also need to downgrade the kernel or patch the driver.
                http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=188645
                It's about the nvidia driver but can easily applied to fglrx I think.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoBrain View Post
                  By the way, you can use the binary fglrx driver on Fedora 9 with enabled 3D accel when you downgrade your X Server, there's a guide on the Fedora forums about that.
                  depending on the kernel, you may also need to downgrade the kernel or patch the driver.
                  http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=188645
                  It's about the nvidia driver but can easily applied to fglrx I think.
                  Here's my experience: I did not need to patch the kernel, but yes, I had to downgrade the X server to get fglrx 8.5 running with Fedora 9 on my Mobility X1400 Laptop. Runs fine now, will try out 8.6 soon.

Comment

Ouch.

Wow. A whole 'nother month?

Actually, Fedora 9 was released well *before* 8.5. I was waiting just as anxiously for that release a month ago.

Comment

Originally posted by bradycl_84043 View Post
                      Wow. A whole 'nother month?

Actually, Fedora 9 was released well *before* 8.5. I was waiting just as anxiously for that release a month ago.

As i said, it's not about the "distro release" but the new X server, and especially the new DRI 2. It isn't that easy to just code a new DRI driver on the fly, so we'll need to wait a bit more that another month I guess.

EDIT: Oh well, I am not that sure anymore, if DRI 2 is already part of Xorg 7.4/Xserver 1.5, can anyone clarify?
                      Last edited by NeoBrain; 06-20-2008, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X