Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 14.12 Omega Driver Brings Mixed Results For Linux Users

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • AMD Catalyst 14.12 Omega Driver Brings Mixed Results For Linux Users

    Phoronix: AMD Catalyst 14.12 Omega Driver Brings Mixed Results For Linux Users

    There are some significant performance improvements to find with this week's Linux version of the AMD Catalyst 14.12 "Omega" driver, but there's also some Linux OpenGL performance regressions to note too. Feedback from the Linux community as well to this new driver has been mixed.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=21240

  • #2
    It would be nice to see open source drivers as well in the tests. For me it seems that older cards (e.g. 6k series) may have better performance with those.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by eydee View Post
      It would be nice to see open source drivers as well in the tests. For me it seems that older cards (e.g. 6k series) may have better performance with those.
      As said in the article, they're coming in a separate later article.
      Michael Larabel
      http://www.michaellarabel.com/

      Comment


      • #4
        AMD should rename this driver as "AMD Omega 290" driver for obvious reasons...just saying...

        Comment


        • #5
          I would add the R9 285 to compare to R9 290. It does not matter if it only runs with the newer driver. Btw. I don't think it runs with the latest Tonga FirePro.

          Comment


          • #6
            And the APUs?

            The release notes says that this driver bring great improvements to APUs. It will be great if the benchmarks include some APUs.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Kano View Post
              I would add the R9 285 to compare to R9 290. It does not matter if it only runs with the newer driver. Btw. I don't think it runs with the latest Tonga FirePro.
              The R9 285 will be in the NV vs. AMD Linux article tomorrow.
              Michael Larabel
              http://www.michaellarabel.com/

              Comment


              • #8
                Basically this is telling me that there are almost no benefits to using Catalyst on older Radeon cards now that the performance on those regressed to Mesa-git / r600-git levels. The only advantage is OpenGL 4.4 and CrossfireX but the disadvantage is major driver bugs.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
                  Basically this is telling me that there are almost no benefits to using Catalyst on older Radeon cards now that the performance on those regressed to Mesa-git / r600-git levels. The only advantage is OpenGL 4.4 and CrossfireX but the disadvantage is major driver bugs.
                  Yeah but make that OpenGL 4.xx for now (Radeon doesn't even support full OGL 4.0 for now)...i am not using Catalyst at all already for some time.
                  Catalyst is now only good for the most powerful AMD cards....untill Radeon catches up.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    2nd vote for APU tests here. Kabini, Kaveri, whatever but APUs.
                    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X