If this is your first visit, be sure to
check out the FAQ by clicking the
link above. You may have to register
before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages,
select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
The guy leading Mantle development sits beside me... I'll find out about Linux plans. May not be able to say anything until the developer conference in Nov but I can at least make sure we know what the answer will be...
Cross platform? Read Windows, Xbox One and maybe PS4. Open? MS and Sony get to make implementations for their consoles? or perhaps even that in principle you could have competing implementations but in practice that will never happen due to technical and/or legal reasons. For example they could SAY that Nvidia gets to implement the API but in reality that would mean having to pay royalties and jumping through other legal hoops so they never will.
"Other graphics APIs such as OpenGL and AMD?s Mantle are not available on Xbox One."
Obvious to anyone with more than an infantile knowledge and experience in corporate policy ...
Nostradamus predictions :
1. Next, $ony announces the obvious : their air-tight ecosystem will not allow any 3rd party API.
2. Nobody but AMD gives a shit about Mantle, just like nobody gave one ( or ten ) for Glide. Neither Nvidia not Intel have the slightest
3. AMD will run out of cash handoevers to developers to write rendering backends for Mantle ( 8M$ to EA for FB integration ... wooo! when Nvida did it with Crytek they were whores, when AMD does it, is 'natural' )
4. Percentage of AMD GCN-based cards in the latest Steam Hardware Survey is at ~ 6% of 50.000.000+ users and won't climb to 10% before the summer, when, according to analysts, M$ and $ony expect to push some 5-8M consoles.
5. AMD blew all their budget on Never Settle bundles and bribes ( I'm sorry, lobbying ) to EA and others and, again 'naturally', there are no more resources for Linux drivers, especially for any Mantle for Linux.
Who wants to bet ?
BTW, I tried the miracle 3.12 Kernel on my A10-6800K and there are no 'vast performance improvements' in any Steam game ...
Yeah, sorry, I saw the article about APUs and 3.12 afterwards.
Anyways, I don't want to diss Mantle from a technical point of view - from what it looks it is a very welcome addition.
My gripes are :
1. at this point technology has less to do with it and corporate policy more.
2. why couldn't these things be added as proprietary ( at first ) extensions to OpenGL ... ? Why don't do it within the framework of the only industry standard for 3D graphics ?