Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD 8.42.3 Driver Released -- The Baby Is Born!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gmplague
    replied
    Gutsy amd64 Radeon HD 2600HT

Ok, so I've had a few problems with this process, but have something that remotely works.

I mostly followed method 2 of this guide:
    http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...allation_Guide

I was able to manually create the packages and install them using the Ubuntu/gutsy patch described near the bottom of the guide.

I now have two problems:
    1) I need to manually insmod the module every time I reboot, then restart X (good ol' Ctrl+Alt+Backspace). Modifying /etc/rc.local as described in the guide did not work. Perhaps gdm is messing with this stuff?

2) Unsure whether or not this is related, but amdcccle doesn't seem to do anything when I change settings (even as sudo, and it updates xorg.conf)... It will change the display settings for the current session, but when I logout and log back in (with gdm), this goes away. (e.g. I change settings to use my dual-headed displays as one big desktop, and when I log back in it shows up mirrored). This happens with or without the the ATI driver running, which leads me to believe it's probably an X issue.

Any suggestions/questions/comments?

This is functional but I am definitely waiting on AMD for the next update (hopefully) with gutsy support. Compviz works but not great.. choppy hi-res videos are unacceptable.

Leave a comment:

• aoanla
    replied
    Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
    More importantly what could we actually expect of the Novemeber release. We knew that 8.42 would feature AIGLX along with the new OpenGL code, what could we expect of the next one?
    Well, I'd hope that ATI would've managed to get rid of the horrible memory leak in the OpenGL code in 8.42, for a start...

Leave a comment:

• happycampers
    replied
    Hanve you tried...

Originally posted by kingttx View Post
    I tried the 8.42 driver on my Compaq V2000 under Ubuntu 7.10 and it didn't work. After figuring out the composite issue, I tried running a 3D game (BZ Flag) and all it did was cause the laptop to shutdown due to overheating the card or CPU. After trying it a couple of times with the same results, I decided to revert back to the fglrx in the repositories and not try any 3D on my laptop for now.

I was excited when I read last month that Mobility would be supported. Oy!
    Have you tried any of the closed-source games (quake3/4, doom3)? These ran fine for me, bu I have had some issues trying to run OS 3d games (chromium locks up my xserver hard). What was the output of fglrxinfo under your configuration?

Leave a comment:

• Thetargos
    replied
    More importantly what could we actually expect of the Novemeber release. We knew that 8.42 would feature AIGLX along with the new OpenGL code, what could we expect of the next one? Which problems will be addressed, and what will remain?

Leave a comment:

• enzobelmont
    replied
    Originally posted by kingttx View Post
    I tried the 8.42 driver on my Compaq V2000 under Ubuntu 7.10 and it didn't work. After figuring out the composite issue, I tried running a 3D game (BZ Flag) and all it did was cause the laptop to shutdown due to overheating the card or CPU. After trying it a couple of times with the same results, I decided to revert back to the fglrx in the repositories and not try any 3D on my laptop for now.

in my ubuntu 7.10 didn't work
    in my suse 10.3 it works fine (i do not use compiz)
    in my gentoo it works fine (included all issues we all know: slow aiglx scroll, high CPU hunger, etc).

by the way any news about next release?

Leave a comment:

• kingttx
    replied
    x200m no-go for me

Originally posted by enzobelmont View Post
    i will download and install in two hours (my connection is slow here)

any x200m experiences????

Leave a comment:

• Alistair
    replied
    Interesting new error running wine on fglrx 8.42.3 drivers

Anyone seeing this in /var/log/messages while running anything in these drivers?

Machine check events logged
    [fglrx:firegl_cmmqs_share_memory] *ERROR* Can not get virtual address
    [fglrx:firegl_cmmqs_share_memory] *ERROR* Can not get virtual address
    [fglrx:MCIL_GetVirtualAddressInDescriptor] *ERROR* Can not get the virtual address

Only popping up while running WoW in wine ..

2.6.22-r2 gentoo amd64 fglrx 8.42.3 and wine (both 0.9.48 and 0.9.49)
    seems to be tied to a pause in game.....

strace/lsof logging shows WoW.exe process trying to read an fd with a return of ENOENT - the fd is pointing at a socket....but thats a guess since the logs are in different places and not timestamped well enough to determine which comes first...

Leave a comment:

• The_Monkey_King
    replied
    Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H misreports chipset

Installed from the ATI download site.

1. Installation succeeded.
    2. Misreports the x1250 as an x1200. Cannot get video on totem to play without articfacts (in fact, not usable at all).

What else needs to be reported?

Leave a comment:

• Alistair
    replied
    Originally posted by figvam View Post
    WHat is your hardware? Particularly interesting are the motherboard chipset and CPU?
    Nforce3 chipset AMD64 x2 dual core cpu
    2Gb ram.
    Onboard sound, onboard NIC etc ... I've no other cards in this box other than the X1650Pro

This motherboard required a BIOS uplift for both the dual core cpu and to open up the GART sizes in bios (shipped with 16,32,64M as options originally)

BIOS set to 256M GART size, kernel option videomem=256 and MaxGartSize=256M in xorg.conf

This card will NOT fire DRI without the minimum gart size of 256M.

Leave a comment:

• figvam
    replied
    Originally posted by Alistair View Post
    I'm quite happy to report that the X1650Pro AGP 512M card I have WORKS with this driver
    WHat is your hardware? Particularly interesting are the motherboard chipset and CPU?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X