• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• phoronix
    started a topic AMD Catalyst 12.9 For Linux Brings Few Good Changes

AMD Catalyst 12.9 For Linux Brings Few Good Changes

Phoronix: AMD Catalyst 12.9 For Linux Brings Few Good Changes

The AMD Catalyst 12.9 graphics driver for Linux was released on Thursday...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE4NDk

• Dami55an
    replied
    I hope that when they release the drivers on their official download page this issue will be corrected.

Leave a comment:

• edcr
    replied
    works with hd7750,ubuntu12.04

sudo sh ./amd-driver-installer-9.00-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/precise
    sudo dpkg -i fglrx*.deb

getting rid of the watermark:
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/25519...ing-the-driver

Leave a comment:

• ChrisXY
    replied
    So does really nobody know the actual differences? I run the 12.9 embedded on my HD 6550M notebook and it seems to work well mostly. I get the watermark and only trackmania nations has major problems, everything else seems to work fine (kde effects, black mesa in wine, etc.).

Still I need to boot with nopat for it to wake up from suspend.

I don't see why AMD shouldn't have two releases for the main driver: One "stable" that is exactly like the one currently and one "unsupported" that gets updated whenever they feel like letting the community test new features or fixes or compatibility with xorg versions... I think in the past the quick feedback from testers would have helped with fixing many things more quickly, or would have prevented faulty "stable" releases altogether. Think, the broken "new" 2d acceleration, gnome 3 "sort of" fixes, etc. It's the bleeding edge users that are used to occassional breakage and reporting things to upstream to get fixed anyway.

Leave a comment:

• d2kx
    replied
    A "real" Catalyst 12.9 (Beta) release is going to happen next week, for all cards (not just embedded).

Leave a comment:

• djdoo
    replied
    Originally posted by foxfire View Post
    In openSUSE it is reported to be working but it does not. My guess is Ubuntu does the same thing. Try to enable the Invert effect and see if it throws an error. That one only works if OpenGL 2 is being used.
    Works here!

Leave a comment:

• kir?
    replied
    I'm sorry that I can't test this effect anymore as I'have nomore kde on my system. However if you find some performance improvement with opengl 2 let us know as I'm very interested about this.

Leave a comment:

• foxfire
    replied
    Originally posted by kir? View Post
    I'm quite sure I had the "use opengl 2 shaders" option checked since kubuntu 11.10. Isn't this OpenGL 2 working since much time?
    In openSUSE it is reported to be working but it does not. My guess is Ubuntu does the same thing. Try to enable the Invert effect and see if it throws an error. That one only works if OpenGL 2 is being used.

Leave a comment:

• djdoo
    replied
    Guys first of all it does NOT work with xserver 1.13. I installed the whole stack of packages with the latest code from X11:Xorg repository for openSUSE 12.2(I did all the needed stuff first, like uninstalled catalyst via amdconfig --uninstall command, rebooted, then I did the package updates, logout-login, installed catalyst 12.9, reboot) and I couldn't login at all!
    I reinstalled the old packages from the standard repo, reinstalled catalyst 12.9 with Kano's mod and all is working now again.

@foxifire: I did what you said but I created the folder ~./kde4/env cause it didn't exist and put inside the file as you described with the code you gave me.
    Can I find out somehow if openGL ES 2.0 really works??
    Last edited by djdoo; 09-17-2012, 06:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• kir?
    replied
    Originally posted by foxfire View Post
    I don't know if you should expect a performance improvement but it does allow you to enable the OpenGL 2 effects such as Invert. I don't know what driver version you are using in Ubuntu but OpenGL 2 works with 12.8 or 12.9 for me.
    I'm quite sure I had the "use opengl 2 shaders" option checked since kubuntu 11.10. Isn't this OpenGL 2 working since much time?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X