Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Linux Catalyst: Hardware Owners Screwed?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem is....

...My system has an old 3870, and it is honestly beginning to feel a little bit long in the tooth. By the time OSS drivers come up to relative parity for pretty much any 3D type gaming this system will be flat OLD!! I used to keep my "old" systems for guests etc. I am considering taking this one completely down and either donating it to a needy child or putting it in the closet. No need to pull all this power, when 90% of what will ever occur on it once I De-commission it will be web and maybe the rare Writer instance. Frankly, although I did not expect instant gratification, I was hoping for better than we have at this point for OSS drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by linux5850 View Post
      From the questions and answers from bridgman on this forum in the past, I recall that he said AMD released all the info to write open source linux drivers that would perform at 100% of the speed and capabilities of the Radeon cards. I hope that's still true?
      i read all of bridgmans posts and this was never his point? there are some nasty hacks in hardware bits to get nasty speed up tricks and amd dosn't released the specs for this part of the hardware.

bridgman was telling us somthing like this without the nasty parts of the hardware the radeon driver can get 95% of the speed but right now there is no reason for amd to release the last bits of the spec because the driver is on level "60%" and not "95%"

also if power-management is required to get the speed for example for a "hd6550D-APU" the spec also lag some information to get the same powermanagment level than the catalyst.

also the stars microprozessor in the UVD unit is also requiered to get the maximum speed for a shader based video acceleration solution.

in other words your "100%" is just a "illusion"
      Last edited by Qaridarium; 06-01-2012, 01:34 AM.
      Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

bring on the updates !

I just tested the beta and I can confirm that it fixes a texture render problem with VDRIFT
        the transparency for the textures of the trees and spectators does not work with 12.4, the beta renders them perfect.

Too bad the beta has the annoying watermark in the bottom corner.

One issue that is not fixed: my 7850 micro-stutters in the Unigine tropics benchmark.
        Also i'd really like to see AMD add a function to query free/used memory to their ADL_SDK similar to cuda's cuMemGetInfo() or OpenGL's glGetIntegerv(GL_VBO_FREE_MEMORY_ATI)
        It's a pain to implement the OpenGL query in a non-OpenGL progam, and impossible to implement a cuda call.
        No function for this functionality is in OpenCL either last I checked.

Comment

Originally posted by Soul_keeper View Post
          Too bad the beta has the annoying watermark in the bottom corner.
          Fix here.

Originally posted by Soul_keeper View Post
          One issue that is not fixed: my 7850 micro-stutters in the Unigine tropics benchmark.
          AMD Issue Reporting Form.

Comment

AMD should really stop showing watermarks and creating hotfixes only validated for a small card range. The reason is that when you want to package these drivers you have to add a signature file from an old driver to remove the testing watermark. This would not be that hard, but as soon as you get a driver only "tested" (whatever that means in amd terms), you need to replace the control file as well. Ok, an old control file could be found as well, but as it contains binary code it looks even worse when you want to add it to a package. Next thing is the aticonfig tool, should somebody replace that as well or binary patch it to ignore the whitelist? Please remove that full watermark/whitelist code for validated hardware, its a piece of shit.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
              No, I implying there is no big difference between Intel and AMD FOSS drivers.
              Yeah, hardware video decoding (using not shaders but the dedicated ASIC) and proper power management (now that they finally worked out the kinks in rc6) aren't big differences, no siree. For AMD one *can't* even write proper power management, they haven't released the necessary docs.

You suck at this. You really, really do.
              Last edited by Gusar; 06-01-2012, 03:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
                Yeah, hardware video decoding (using not shaders but the dedicated ASIC) and proper power management (now that they finally worked out the kinks in rc6) aren't big differences, no siree. For AMD one *can't* even write proper power management, they haven't released the necessary docs.

You suck at this. You really, really do.
                It was my understanding not that proper power management couldn't be written, but that it was low on the priority list of the developers. Unless you've got a link to backup your claims?

Comment

Originally posted by mirv View Post
                  It was my understanding not that proper power management couldn't be written, but that it was low on the priority list of the developers. Unless you've got a link to backup your claims?
                  he is right even if they try they can never compete with the catalyst because lowest profile do drain more power than the catalyst
                  and the SPEC only cover to set lowest profile to save power.

but in fact the catalyst do use other mechanism to.
                  Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by mirv View Post
                    http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...urce-AMD/page6

Comment

Yeah, hardware video decoding (using not shaders but the dedicated ASIC)
                      Last time I check (Ironlake) it was slower than software decoding. Intel force users to upgrade hardware to SB and IB in their own way?
                      and proper power management (now that they finally worked out the kinks in rc6)
                      That should be disabled if you hate tearing: https://pokersource.info/show_bug.cgi?id=43674
                      For AMD one *can't* even write proper power management
                      Same for Intel - they can't write proper vsync.

Comment

Working...
                      X